Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help changing a starter

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Alrighty guys I need some help. My fiancee's daughter has a 2003 Toyota Camry V6. Starter has gone bad on it. I have been told it could be just the solenoid but I don't know that. So I am looking for a little advice and maybe some conformation on what I have heard.

I was told if you can get the starter off and take it into a parts shop they can put it on a machine and tell you what is wrong with it??

Next, not sure if anyone has any specific experience with this vehicle but are there any general pointers you guys could impart to me? Any ball park estimates on how long a job like this could take.

I'm decently handy and can follow directions, anything you guys can give me would be helpful. Yes I have had the battery checked, there is fuel in the car. I can hear the fuel pump kicking on and can hear the relay clicking...which settled us on the starter which makes absolutely no noise at all.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Starter's about $75-$100, depending on where you get it. Couple hours to put the new one in- tops. Instructions will be in the box with the starter. :) Or you can just call a guy like this and he'll come to you:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/aos/2813558468.html

Biggest PITA is recoding the stereo, if that needs to be done.

*If you bang the starter with a hammer or wrench, it might just turn over for you.

*If you bang the starter with a hammer or wrench, it might just turn over for you.

X2 to that .... if that doesn't work get some one to hop in the car and engage the starter while the car is in park/neutral then you can use a multimeter to check if there is power in the starting circuit by testing the trigger terminal ...... if there is power there then the next trick is to leave the key on in the ignition position and short out the other two terminals with a screwdriver or similar MAKE SURE that the car is in park/neutral and the handbrake is on as it can get really exciting if the car starts up in gear while you are in front of it.
If that starts the car then you can pull the starter and if you choose (i would as i like doing this kind of stuff) you can recondition it yourself by dissassembling it , cleaning the solenoid thoroughly , and fitting new brushes..... before you put it back in the car just test it in a bench vice with a set of jumper leads to make sure the solenoid engages and the starter spins over.

Image borrowed from 2carguys site
starter_solenoid.jpg

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Assuming it's accessible, you shouldn't have any problem swapping starters.

Yes, your auto parts store can test the starter. They can put power to it and see if it will turn outside the vehicle. One of the most frustrating things is when you beat on it with a hammer, it will turn. At that point you've diagnosed and temporarily fixed the problem, but when the parts store hooks it up to the machine it will work. At that point, you tell them to shut up and sell you a starter and that it's broken.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
From Autozone's repair procedures:
Removal & Installation

Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable. On models equipped with an air bag, work must NOT be started until at least 90 seconds have passed from the time that both the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative cable is disconnected from the battery.

With cruise control, the battery

With cruise control, the actuator and bracket

Wiring from the starter

Starter

To install:

Install or connect the following:

Starter. Torque the bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).

Starter cable

Electrical connectors

Actuator connector and clamp, if equipped with cruise control

Battery and tray, if equipped with cruise control

Keep in mind free spin testing only tells if the starter spins, there is no load. I always checked the bushings and such to be sure they were good or not, and generally tried to check the bendix as well. Sometimes the sound tells the story as well, after spinning enough of them, you can tell the sound of them is fast enough or not. The testers have gotten better, they tend to be better than they used to be at picking out high amp draw and such, but are not perfect by any time.

When a starter tests ok on the machine, I usually would ask more questions to determine how likely the starter was the issue. If it no spins on the car, but spins just fine and passes all my other checks, then I suggest they test the electrical to the starter before dropping the cash on it. If it is a case of slow spin on the car, then the tester won't always catch it. Last thing I want to do is sell a starter to someone that has a case of no power to the starter being the actual problem. It prevents unhappy customers coming back blaming the starter when they have other issues.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Alright well I tackled this job today. I tried to avoid it as long as possible but when no one else volunteered I got stuck with it. It is not exactly as easy as "just two bolts" but it wasn't bad.

I made my step daughter help me with this project and I was pleasantly surprised at her willingness.

It took us about 2 hours from start to finish and that included us running to two stores to get the new starter.

I am happy to have gotten it done, but not happier then she is.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool Aaron..and even cooler that you got your daughter involved.
Nice to see folks doing that in this day and age...:beer: :beer:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts