Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ok how bad is this gonna get?

Ok I just bought a 2001 F-250 CC XLT 4X4 with a 7.3 Powerstroke, no mods as far as I know. Here is the problem, the truck has had a cold start issue since purchase, ambient temp has been 85 deg. average, after several attempts it will start and run fine till i let the truck sit for 6 hrs or so. I found that my IPR valve has come apart, I figured this was the issue, while headed to the parts store the truck started smoking, and loosing power, I shut the truck down, pulled over to inspect, and found the high pressure oil line to the left head had ruptured, leaking oil all over. I proceeded to check the oil to find none on the stick! No sickening grinding or tell tale knock of the bearings giving up, and motor will bump over. Please someone tell me this isnt going to be as painful as i think it will be.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Ok I just bought a 2001 F-250 CC XLT 4X4 with a 7.3 Powerstroke, no mods as far as I know. Here is the problem, the truck has had a cold start issue since purchase, ambient temp has been 85 deg. average, after several attempts it will start and run fine till i let the truck sit for 6 hrs or so. I found that my IPR valve has come apart, I figured this was the issue, while headed to the parts store the truck started smoking, and loosing power, I shut the truck down, pulled over to inspect, and found the high pressure oil line to the left head had ruptured, leaking oil all over. I proceeded to check the oil to find none on the stick! No sickening grinding or tell tale knock of the bearings giving up, and motor will bump over. Please someone tell me this isnt going to be as painful as i think it will be.

if i was you id be prepairing for the worst.

I'd suggest posting a third thread in the Certified tech help forum, we have some of the best techs in the world on here.

blacksnapon

Staff member
One good thing about the high pressure oil firing the injectors, if you blow a line like that, the engine will shut down long before engine damage will occur. Chances are, the IPR coming apart created a "wide open" high pressure oil condition, thus the ruptured line. Even with the high ambient temp outside, you could still have a glow plug issue (probably the relay). More diagnostics would be prudent though.

Well as my great luck has it, the pan went dry, or at least close to it, checked the stick when I went back with the wrecker( just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling dosent it?) and tapped on the pan, which had the deathly sound of a empty coke can. Hopefully I caught it soon enough before it ate it self up. shop said they would look at it monday, but probably couldn't do anything till tuesday. Wish me luck(or atleast better luck).

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Well as my great luck has it, the pan went dry, or at least close to it, checked the stick when I went back with the wrecker( just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling dosent it?) and tapped on the pan, which had the deathly sound of a empty coke can. Hopefully I caught it soon enough before it ate it self up. shop said they would look at it monday, but probably couldn't do anything till tuesday. Wish me luck(or atleast better luck).

my question is is how did it get empty? do you have a bad leak or something?

thats our plan come monday. only problem is no parts till tuesday. the turck driver in me wants to cut the line and put an areoquip union in at the rupture, but i know i should just wait till tuesday so i dont make things worse.

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
Hey Mike...Glad to see ya made it...Hope everything turns out ok...Good bunch of guys on here...Atleast in the Gen 6 section...LOL...J/K guys... I know you said it's running...Just hope that it holds togeather for ya...

Yes I did get it running. Sorry I took so long getting back. Replaced the High Pressure Oil line to the left head,and a new I.P.R. was installed. Starts and drives. Next issue is the cold start issue. Still starts hard, acting as if it's loosing prime. Maybe I need a fuel pump now.

Need to have the batteries analyzed. If even one of the batteries drops voltage below 11 volts mid-crank, it won't want to start. I've had that exact issue happen on on 3 of that same year truck, to the point I replaced all the batteries on each truck and had them tested each year as part of our maintenance schedule.
Testing across the GPR should be done, as well. Again, mid-crank ,it should not drop from post-to post more than about a half-volt.

I will try test the batteries too, they are new, but that dosen't mean they aren't weak. I replaced the original fuel pump, and GPR. I have a valve cover kit w/ harnesses comming around the end of the week, so I will be installing new GP's also.

Need to have the batteries analyzed. If even one of the batteries drops voltage below 11 volts mid-crank, it won't want to start. I've had that exact issue happen on on 3 of that same year truck, to the point I replaced all the batteries on each truck and had them tested each year as part of our maintenance schedule.
Testing across the GPR should be done, as well. Again, mid-crank ,it should not drop from post-to post more than about a half-volt.

question mrfixit. the batteries that were in the truck when i bought it were 700cca's, the manual is calling for a minimum of 750cca's. could some of my starting issues be the batteries are too small,causing too much of a voltage drop? i replaced the gp's and the uvch's, also replaced all of the fuel line o-rings. still trying to figure this out. thanks again to all that replied.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It could contribute to your problem if the batteries are too small. Maybe you can put a battery charger on to give it a little extra juice and see if it is easier to start before you buy new batteries. But if the manual says you need minimum of 750 then you should get some bigger batteries.

i planed on replacing them before winter, but i am thinking i'll do it sooner just to eliminate the potential problem. still looking for the reason behind the cold start problems. thanks again for any help or advise.

Ford Truck Articles