Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Replacement Fuel Tanks

This has probably been brought up before, but I'm having issues with the search function on my phone. Where is the best place to get quality replacement fuel tanks for these trucks? Does anyone make plastic tanks that fit in the stock locations? In my 79 f-150 the front tank has a hole that needs patched, likely from a rock between the tank and skid plate, and the rear tank is full of rust. Both sending units need replaced also. Was thinking about just replacing everything so it's all new.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't know about plastic, but Dennis Carpenter had the steel aft tanks, don't know about other locations though.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
As Duncan said, the rear(aft) metal tanks are readily available. The front, plastic tanks are as scarce as Boy George's man card. I have searched for about 10 years for a replacement and never found one, other than used ones at salvage yards that are in worse shape than mine. The shroud that holds the plastic tank in place is also not available anywhere. This is important because the ONLY thing holding the tank in place is the shroud.

Now my truck is different as it's a 72 in cab tank but I would also recommend LMC trucks as they were the only one to have the correct 19.5 gallon tank for my 72.

Good luck!

Fellro

Staff member
Bronco Graveyard is also another good source.

I see a few places have Spectra brand front steel tanks listed for my truck. One review said it didn't fit though. Is that the issue, the ones that are available don't fit in the shroud?

LMC doesn't have a front tank listed for my truck.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Now my truck is different as it's a 72 in cab tank but I would also recommend LMC trucks as they were the only one to have the correct 19.5 gallon tank for my 72. [confused]
The in-cab 19.5 gallon tank is reproduced by Blue Oval Truck Parts (Anaheim CA), sold to the other repro parts sellers and the general public alike.

FoMoCo replaced the 18 gallon in-cab tank used on 1961/69 F100/800 (C1TZ-9002-K) with this 1970/72 F100/750 19.5 gallon tank (D0TZ-9002-A) for use as a "service part replacement."

The in-cab 19.5 gallon tank is reproduced by Blue Oval Truck Parts (Anaheim CA), sold to the other repro parts sellers and the general public alike.

FoMoCo replaced the 18 gallon in-cab tank used on 1961/69 F100/800 (C1TZ-9002-K) with this 1970/72 F100/750 19.5 gallon tank (D0TZ-9002-A) for use as a "service part replacement."

At the time Blue oval had none on hand but LMC did so that is why I went with them although blue oval is probably where LMC truck got the tank. The difference in the 18 gal vs the 19.5 was the 19.5 had 5 fasteners across the top pinch weld vs three on the 18 gal. Also there are two different 19.5 gal tanks for 70/72 one with emissions ports and connections charcoal canister and one without. I chose to replace mine with the one without and the side effect of this is the fuel filler neck on the tank is shorter requiring a longer rubber connector or gas cap filler neck to compensate for this change.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
At the time Blue oval had none on hand but LMC did so that is why I went with them although blue oval is probably where LMC truck got the tank. The difference in the 18 gal vs the 19.5 was the 19.5 had 5 fasteners across the top pinch weld vs three on the 18 gal. Also there are two different 19.5 gal tanks for 70/72 one with emissions ports and connections charcoal canister and one without. I chose to replace mine with the one without and the side effect of this is the fuel filler neck on the tank is shorter requiring a longer rubber connector or gas cap filler neck to compensate for this change.
Some 1970/72 F100's came with Evaporative Emission (Evap/Em) which was mandatory in sold new in CA Passenger Cars, E100 & F100 & Bronco.

Other states may have mandated Evap/Em as well.

As Duncan said, the rear(aft) metal tanks are readily available. The front, plastic tanks are as scarce as Boy George's man card. I have searched for about 10 years for a replacement and never found one, other than used ones at salvage yards that are in worse shape than mine. The shroud that holds the plastic tank in place is also not available anywhere. This is important because the ONLY thing holding the tank in place is the shroud.

Finally got my box pulled and the fuel tanks removed. The front factory plastic tank is in good shape and isn't cracked and doesn't have any holes. However, the rubber grommets that seal between the tank and the fill/vent tubes are shrunken up and leak when the tank is full. Quick searching doesn't show these available from Bronco Graveyard, LMC, Dennis Carpenter, or NAPA. Are these as rare as the tank and shroud?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes the seal is very hard to find also. I found one at a salvage yard that was in better shape than mine.

I recently located a source, I think. Hopefully I saved it as a favorite. I will see if I can find it and post the link. Glad to hear everything else is in good shape.

The short term solution is to not fill the tank all the way. The plastic midship tank on the 8' bed trucks is 26 gallons. If the gauge works for that tank, you can assume the tank contains 13 gal at half-full. Add another 7 gal for a total of 20 gal, and the tank will not leak, unless you are on a steep slope.

Bronco Graveyard has started reproducing them. It looks like the right dimensions. I have not ordered one yet, but I will.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/197...s-Tank-Breather-Valve-Seal/productinfo/20242/

Last edited:
Yes the seal is very hard to find also. I found one at a salvage yard that was in better shape than mine.

I recently located a source, I think. Hopefully I saved it as a favorite. I will see if I can find it and post the link. Glad to hear everything else is in good shape.

The short term solution is to not fill the tank all the way. The plastic midship tank on the 8' bed trucks is 26 gallons. If the gauge works for that tank, you can assume the tank contains 13 gal at half-full. Add another 7 gal for a total of 20 gal, and the tank will not leak, unless you are on a steep slope.

Bronco Graveyard has started reproducing them. It looks like the right dimensions. I have not ordered one yet, but I will.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/197...s-Tank-Breather-Valve-Seal/productinfo/20242/

That looks like the new rubber for the emissions breather valve (which I need also for both tanks). Could this be the new rubber for the actual fill neck? http://dennis-carpenter.com/fuel-tank-filler-pipe-seal/p/E1AZ-9072-B/ I might order one just to see if it will work. That leaves me with trying to locate the one for the fill breather.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
That looks like the new rubber for the emissions breather valve (which I need also for both tanks). Could this be the new rubber for the actual fill neck? http://dennis-carpenter.com/fuel-tank-filler-pipe-seal/p/E1AZ-9072-B/ I might order one just to see if it will work. That leaves me with trying to locate the one for the fill breather.

Yes, that appears to be it! Thank you. Last time I looked they didn't have those. Hopefully they will make the smaller seal for the vent line.

I did find another good plastic tank in a yard, but no shroud and the rubber parts are shot. Got the Dennis Carpenter part on order. Will report back after trying to install it this weekend.

This might be as good as it gets for the vent for now: https://www.mcmaster.com/#push-in-grommets/=18jywlz

Items 9307K69 or 9307K71. Not as low of a temperature range as I would like for my northern climate, but I'll order a package of each and see which one fits better.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes, I can get it also, but I have to drive 35 miles to get ethanol-free gas. Good luck. I had to have my shroud rebuilt with straps welded around the bottom to keep the tank in place. It has held up the last several years.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Now my truck is different as it's a 72 in cab tank but I would also recommend LMC trucks as they were the only one to have the correct 19.5 gallon tank for my 72. [confused]
This tank is reproduced by Blue Oval Truck Parts (Anaheim CA) and is available from all the repro parts sellers.

Original FoMoCo part number:

D0TZ-9002-A (replaced C1TZ-9002-K) .. In-Cab Fuel Tank-19.5 Gallons / Reproduced

1961/66 F100/800; 1963/69 N500/750; 1967/72 F100/750.

Ford Truck Articles