Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What tape and where to buy it

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I've searched high and low and for a long time, and I'm not able to find the electrical tape that Ford uses under the hood in high heat areas. I've emailed 3M, and they won't specifically ID the product and they reluctantly mention 33+. Um, no, the stuff with adhesive can't take the heat and it get's gooey over time and comes lose.

Closest I can come is rescue tape, it's silicon and bonds to itself. Problem is, it's kinda thick. So based on the OEM tape that looks to be a fiber reinforced silicon, what is the tradename/product # and where in the world does a guy buy a small roll?

*Places tried so far: ebay, amazon, electrical supply houses, Oreilly Auto, Autozone, Napa, Carquest, Lowes, Home Depot, local Ace Hardeare stores, local True Value hardware stores....and I know I'm missing some places.

blacksnapon

Staff member
There's a tape used for one of the recent Escape recalls. That stuff is incredibly strong. Monday, I'll look to see if theres any labeling inside the roll.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
There's a tape used for one of the recent Escape recalls. That stuff is incredibly strong. Monday, I'll look to see if theres any labeling inside the roll.

Thank you, it's appreciated.

FWIW and side note, the rescue tape really is good stuff and it's rated to 500*F (mil spec on other ratings). The only bummer is, it's kinda thick, just not friendly if a guy is trying to wrap, say, three light gauge wires together at the point they break out of plastic (3/8") conduit. Probably really good for 3/8" and larger diameter things. When that stuff is wrapped together, after a few minutes it's very permanent and not easily removed.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA

This one might be a toughie to locate. I did note on ebay that a guy sold a few rolls left over from the Escape recall (must be a tech at Ford), the part number on the unopened bags (white one side, clear on other) was DJ5Z8522ASUB4 and made in Germany on the front. Time to search tough on Google. Thanks again, it's appreciated!

Edit: Quick question....does the tape have fiberglass in it?

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member

This one might be a toughie to locate. I did note on ebay that a guy sold a few rolls left over from the Escape recall (must be a tech at Ford), the part number on the unopened bags (white one side, clear on other) was DJ5Z8522ASUB4 and made in Germany on the front. Time to search tough on Google. Thanks again, it's appreciated!

Edit: Quick question....does the tape have fiberglass in it?
It kind of feels plastic. Its strong enough that you can't tear it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts