Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bought a 2013 Explorer (my mom did)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, I've been searching for a domestic small to midsize SUV for my MIL and picked up this beauty this past weekend from eprey!

What a GREAT deal....it was in NJ and I was able to pick it up for $8000 under blue book.

It had 24,050 on the clock and I put 500 miles on it driving home....I was thinking of catching a few fellas on here from there to here, but really just wanted to get home quick, so I didn't say anything....I didn't check the map to see who was on the way or in NJ/NY area.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
2016-07-26_05_48_00.jpg

2016-07-26_05_47_48.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It's far more computerized than anything I ever owned......the only physical gauge is the speedometer.....crazy....It is very, very nice though.....was a fun 7 hour ride home.

Took a cab from my home to the airport, flew into Newark, took a cab to the seller's house, did the paperwork, and drove home all in one day.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My MIL's white 2005 Exploder is toast! Going for scrap and a buddy of mine is reselling the engine.

The servo code came up on a computer check from a check engine light, so tranny work, plus the bearing in the front axles needed replacing, plus one side for the rockers in order to get it sticker-ed. The frame might have been good for one or two more years; maybe, I was told....it was getting a little too soft.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I don't mind.... $17k even.

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
That is a deal... Those new explorers are nice. Boss bought a 2014 brand new for his wife and it is awesome. Drove it a couple times to take it in for service and I was impressed at how much room it has for its size

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Congrats on the deal Ken, sounds like you/mom did well!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Congrats. I've ridden in the plant manager's 2015. They look smaller on the outside, but are actually very roomy.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Congrats. I've ridden in the plant manager's 2015. They look smaller on the outside, but are actually very roomy.

Good deal Ken. They ride nice and are roomy.

Congrats on the deal Ken, sounds like you/mom did well!

That is a deal... Those new explorers are nice. Boss bought a 2014 brand new for his wife and it is awesome. Drove it a couple times to take it in for service and I was impressed at how much room it has for its size

Thanks fellas.....it was definitely a steal for sure! Driving that thing 500 miles made me want one....the new ones are just out of this world, price wise (for me anyways).....I bought my wife's Expi (75k miles) and my KR (26k miles), both good used vehicles for less than what the guy bought that Explorer brand new 2.5 years ago ($36k)...crazy! Talk about taking the depreciation hit! 'smiliecrazy'

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
That was a decent buy. Also good timing- 4WD/SUV season starts after Labor Day, and prices take a huge uptick. What could be had for a few grand under book in the heat of summer all of a sudden becomes a few grand over book when the first snowflakes start coming down.

My MIL's white 2005 Exploder is toast! Going for scrap and a buddy of mine is reselling the engine.

The servo code came up on a computer check from a check engine light, so tranny work, plus the bearing in the front axles needed replacing, plus one side for the rockers in order to get it sticker-ed. The frame might have been good for one or two more years; maybe, I was told....it was getting a little too soft.

A 2005??? Holy crap- of course, rust is a non-issue in these parts.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That was a decent buy. Also good timing- 4WD/SUV season starts after Labor Day, and prices take a huge uptick. What could be had for a few grand under book in the heat of summer all of a sudden becomes a few grand over book when the first snowflakes start coming down.

A 2005??? Holy crap- of course, rust is a non-issue in these parts.

It's crazy up here (rust)...when we bought the Expi and the KR, we got them fluid filmed and we'll probably do another application at some point down the road...I'll have to check to see how long between treatments....but the calcium, liquid salt and rock salt just kills vehicles up here.

Ford Truck Articles