Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

51 f1 window regulator

Hi:

Is there some trick to removing the window regulator from my F1? The shop manual makes it look easy, but i can't get the knob shaft through the hole. Also, the manual says to remove the window before removing the division bar. Unfortunately my glass doesn't bend. All help appreciated.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Take all the bolts out of the division bar, so it moves around, glass comes right out
Post a picture of the knob, it has to be removed, it does not go through the door, it comes off the regulator separately

More on regulator

Thanks for the reply...sorry I wasn't as precise as i should have been. I removed the window crank. The post it rides on still would not clear the inner door panel. The shop manual says to push the divider bar as far towards the outside door skin as possible and slip the regulator out. But with it pushed as far forward as possible, it still wouldn't clear the inner door panel.

Further the shop manual says that before removing the divider bar, you have to remove the window. But there's no way to get the window out with the divider bar in place.
window1.jpg

window3.jpg

As you can see in the 1st photo the window is far to the left of the panel hole.
Photo 2 shows that there is no clearance above or below the divider bar adequate to slide the window through. Seems to me that the shop manual has to be wrong and you have to remove the division bar first.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
It doesn't come out until the glass is out, but you loosen it in the frame. the glass is slipped out of it at the bottom, then wiggled around it, then removed. if you try to take the bar out you will break the glass, I learned the hard way/
It is a strange process, but you will get it once you get the glass out of the track
The reason to get the divider bar out the glass has to be out first, it has to be turned sideways ( where the glass sits) to get it out

Just so we're clear, I have to ask, did you remove the glass from the regulator lift arms/pins? The glass should simply slide to the bottom of the door and then tilt and come out through the inspection hole.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The "bracket" stays glued to the glass
the slides and pins come out, loosen the division bar, the glass will wiggle out of the track, and come out of the hole in the bottom

Ford Truck Articles