Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you do to your Bronco today?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I searched far and wide and couldn't find a thread on what you did to your bronco, so I started one here.....if there is one, forgive me.

Just pretty psyched about some of the little things I've been messing with, with my new toy. smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So yesterday, I fixed the window regulator on the passenger side.....man, what a pain to get to.....there are three bolts that hold this baby in place and two of them are concealed and have dimples in the panel to drill in order to take the bolt out. Well, we did that and I ordered a new motor from ebay (I know, I know, will probably get some crap here) as it saved me, $30 from $60-$70 from LMC China and Bronco Graveyard. Well, the gears and plug ins were correct, but one of the bolts didn't line up and thank God it was the center one to the left and not the top and bottom ones which to me were the important ones keeping the motor from shifting at all!

The other thing that was different was the bolt holes...in the original motor, the bolt holes were threaded and this new part, probably from China, was just a hole, so we had to run to the store to get bolts, lock washers and such...we did buy the hardened steel bolts so we could really torque it. Installed it and works like brand new!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
When I pulled the motor out of the door, it was pretty neat to see that nothing in the panels had ever been replaced nor unscrewed (that we can tell anyways). We pulled the factory speaker out that still had all the Ford stickers and dates on it and the window motor still had it's stickers and part numbers and dates on it....I thought it was interesting though that when searching for parts and for instructions on a bronco forum, it seems that it's far more common for the gears to go then the motors and the gear on the motor we replaced was as new looking as the brand new one we bought! We did test power to the motor and it was going there, just nothing was happening, so motor was bad for some reason.

Also cool was to see the inside of the door panels that look as new as could be...no surface rust...dam*, should have taken some pictures!!!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The PO also lost the separate (why in the heck did Ford make multiple key sets for this? ugh!) key for the tailgate window, so we popped out the cylinder and found a lock smith online to ship it to to rekey it for us. Couldn't use the same ignition/door keys as the key has opposite grooves. It was supposedly the cheapest way to go as even China and their LMC partners don't make the cylinders nor does any other company I'm aware of.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So yesterday, I fixed the window regulator on the passenger side.....man, what a pain to get to.....there are three bolts that hold this baby in place and two of them are concealed and have dimples in the panel to drill in order to take the bolt out. Well, we did that and I ordered a new motor from ebay (I know, I know, will probably get some crap here) as it saved me, $30 from $60-$70 from LMC China and Bronco Graveyard. Well, the gears and plug ins were correct, but one of the bolts didn't line up and thank God it was the center one to the left and not the top and bottom ones which to me were the important ones keeping the motor from shifting at all!

The other thing that was different was the bolt holes...in the original motor, the bolt holes were threaded and this new part, probably from China, was just a hole, so we had to run to the store to get bolts, lock washers and such...we did buy the hardened steel bolts so we could really torque it. Installed it and works like brand new!

2012-08-22_10-11-28_43.jpg

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Nice thread. I'll be glad when I can get some work done on mine. When I get home I'm gonna purchase a 93 1 ton dodge with a 5.9 cummins and a 5 speed. Then the build will start.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Nice thread. I'll be glad when I can get some work done on mine. When I get home I'm gonna purchase a 93 1 ton dodge with a 5.9 cummins and a 5 speed. Then the build will start.

Sweet! Looking forward to some pics....post up! Love your rig BTW!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
2012-08-24_13-50-18_483.jpg

Have to give this little business a shout out....dang! I mailed him 1st class postal my cylinder this past Wednesday and I got it in the mail today, Friday THE SAME WEEK. I know we're in the same state, but dang!

He quoted me $45 which included shipping back and I paid to ship it to him of course. Paid him over the phone and I'm looking forward to putting in my lock and NEW key for my tailgate Monday. Monday because I'm having my mechanic buddy help me do it.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
taxreliever said:
Have to give this little business a shout out....dang! I mailed him 1st class postal my cylinder this past Wednesday and I got it in the mail today, Friday THE SAME WEEK. I know we're in the same state, but dang!

He quoted me $45 which included shipping back and I paid to ship it to him of course. Paid him over the phone and I'm looking forward to putting in my lock and NEW key for my tailgate Monday. Monday because I'm having my mechanic buddy help me do it.

All installed and working!!!!
:)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Super Psyched! I received my remote starter in today....since my Bronco will be my winter daily driver. It's being installed this Thursday.

I also ordered:

Shiftster (to get rid of the electric 4wd shifter)

and

Premium manual locking hubs (to get rid of the auto locking hubs)

Will try to remember posting pics of these two items.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, yesterday, got the remote start installed and it works really good.....walked way down the road and the range is pretty awesome....the box says 2000 feet, but you never know how accurate that is. I walked about 500 ft and it worked just fine.

2012-08-31_09-25-01_84.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^the only problem he came across was the keyless entry....because of the age of the vehicle, he had to install relays in order for the doors to be able to talk to the module and it was more than he quoted me, so we decided to hold off for now. Then last night, I thought about it more and more and the wifey and I thought, for the little extra, it'd be worth it, especially during the winter months.....it's incredibly handy to have when you have a baby in one hand and groceries in the other!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Found the remote start on Amazon and took some time to research and read all the reviews....and thought this would suffice and was only $47 with free shipping, so not bad! Install was $100, and the keyless entry will be an additional $100. It was a private installer I found locally.

Untitled.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
^^^the only problem he came across was the keyless entry....because of the age of the vehicle, he had to install relays in order for the doors to be able to talk to the module and it was more than he quoted me, so we decided to hold off for now. Then last night, I thought about it more and more and the wifey and I thought, for the little extra, it'd be worth it, especially during the winter months.....it's incredibly handy to have when you have a baby in one hand and groceries in the other!

Very True. Especially if Mom has a baby in hand, a toddler in the other hand, AND groceries in the third hand.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, the keyless doors are all installed and working great! Super happy with it...will be incredibly handy in the winter (keys aren't that helpful when it's 20 degrees below zero and the lock cylinder is frozen or having to take your gloves off to put the key in the hole) and of course with the baby and all....it's also nice to walk away from the vehicle and just hit the button knowing both doors are locked instead of having to check or push the door buttons before taking off.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Oh, and while I was at it, I had the guy give me a fresh tune up: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter.....on to the vibration issue....going to our full fledged mechanic to put it on the lift and see if we can isolate where it's coming from.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
fatherdoug said:
Ken, would you mind saying how much the relays were and where they were installed?

Absolutely ....the guy that installed them was a local auto electric guy that moved to Maine from FL I think and his company is called Auto MD and can get you guys his info if you want.

Labor and parts for doors was $130. He didn't break down the labor /parts but he charges $35/hr and I think he took 2 hours to install...works AWESOME btw! Am loving it.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, would you mind saying how much the relays were and where they were installed?

I'm curious about this too. My Econoline is a pain to unlock or lock all 4 doors.

Ok, so I got the breakdown from the guy:

2 hours labor $70
2 feet wire $2
2 relays $23.24
2 pig tails (don't know what these are) $18.88

Total $114.12

Ford Truck Articles