Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Driveline growl

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
2005 6.0 4x4. In the last month or so it has developed a driveline related growl that starts at about 10mph and seems to either go away or is muffled my engine/tire noise at 45mph. It seems to be coming from the left front wheel area. I did a little online research and ended up changing the hub/bearing assembly on the left/front. This did nothing to fix my problem. The front axleshafts have about 1/4" of play on each side at the hubs which seems very excessive to me, and I could see that causing the noise. From what I've read locking the hubs in will cure the noise, it doesn't, the noise actually seemed to get a little worse, and the play in the axleshafts is still there, and yes the hubs do actually lock in. So I'm confused. What, besides the spindle bearing in the unit hub, is supposed to support axleshafts? Also, most times if you put the truck in neutral the noise will disappear. I also replaced the rear driveshaft hanger, the rubber that supports the bearing was all rotted out. Truck has 97000.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Passenger side lockout stuck engaged. Ill start there.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Holy crap....you are alive.

Ford Truck Articles