Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Quick question on headlight wiring conversion

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I will be doing that relay conversion to run the headlights off relays and was just wondering what size fuse to use. 20amp like the relays or smaller? Thanks.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I will be doing that relay conversion to run the headlights off relays and was just wondering what size fuse to use. 20amp like the relays or smaller? Thanks.
Why are you going to run them off of relays?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
So that 12 volts isn't running through the switch. The switches eventually cause the headlights to flicker. I don't have this problem yet, but want to do it anyway. Plus I will be able to use halogen lights if I use relays.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've never had that problem on my truck.. Hmm maybe we should trade! lol!
I know LCM/NPD sell head light kits that all every thing you need to do this conversion and it comes with the new head lights to.

Denise ? Now you've done it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks for the link Dennis

No Problem,
It IMO, is the best one the net.

I have another if you wish to see it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'm surprised how small of a fuse i actually need. If I use the 55/65 bulbs I'm surprised I only need 4.2/5amp fuses. I figured it would be way more. This is why I don't do much electrical work. But those websites are a big help. I've waited way too long to do this even though I don't have the flickering problem.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I am getting all the stuff on Tuesday. I was just unsure of the proper fuses. I am also going to install some halogen headlights so I hopefully can see better at night :)

FTF'er
So that 12 volts isn't running through the switch.
If I'm understanding this correctly, you will still have 12 volts running through the switch, it will just be very low current to switch the relays instead of high current to power the lights. The current is what burns up the switches.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
That is true. I might have phrased it wrong.

I have 15 amp for mine.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Ok that's more of what I was thinking, but looking at the chart you posted I figured 5 was ok too. I could use a fuse buddy and check the actual draw when I wire them too just to be sure.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts