Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Going through the motions

I've been ramping up on all the info from this great site, trying to do all the "right" things to get a true picture of my (new to me)trucks motor status. It's a '06 F350. Running the VIN gained me the informaiton pasted below for a good starting reference point. (thanks guys!)
I've gathered the correct fuel, oil filters and plan on installing the coolant filter kit recommended. My first towing experience was two weeks ago, 8k lbs enclosed car trailer. I did see several ~23lb. boost gauge reading going up several moderate hills on the freeway. All temp gauges read normal during this 45 minute trip, 90' F air temp in sunny SoCal.
As I was backing the trailer into its new spot I noticed the green wrench light came on in the dash, temp gauges still normal. Looking in front of the truck noticed large puddles of green coolant. Shut truck off, saw that lower hose had come off bottom of the radiator inlet snout. Lost all coolant in ~15 seconds. Clamp is a dual wrap around stainless steel strap style with a hex/slotted screw for adjustment. It looked to be normal with no defects.
Added new recommned coolant with distilled water (thanks again u guys for sharing that info!!) with new hose clamp.
The next weekend got a hold of a Snap-On (high end) scanner. Warmed up truck and plugged her in. At 5 minutes of idle EOT & ECT seemed to vary about 10'F. 20 minute Test drive with scanner plugged in, several hard throttle passes up some long hills brought the ECT to a max temp of 203' F, EOT always stayed within 5'F or less of ECT reading. Normal road driving shows ECT of 194' F, again EOT within 5 degrees.
Before I plug the scanner in again I need to learn more about it. I did run the two tests it suggested, results came back normal. Also there were no stored codes that came up. Can you guys give me some feedback on some of the questions I have.
1. At the begining of the 6.0 thread, there is the Power Stroke Tech Info. I can't access anything on forddoctorsdts.com. So I can't get to that list of acronyms. Is there any others out there? Maybe listed in a manuel?
2. Guessing I shouldn't be so cheap and buy a manuel? Which one?
3. Is there a pressure sensor in the coolant system that the scanner reads?
4. With the temp readings between ECT & EOT being within 5' F, am I really out of the woods? Maybe the coolant hose coming off was a fluke? Loose clamp?
5. Any reccomendation on what else to check for?

Thanks for your help. VIN scan posted below:
Repair Date -

Detailed Vehicle Specification
VIN 1FTWW32P46EC50177
Vehicle Line T/F7 Market Derived Code F
Body Cab T/BC Ver. Series T/CD
Drive Type T/B
PLT CD A1 TRS CD T/BE ENG CD T/YB
Production Date 12-JAN-06 Warranty Start Date 15-MAR-06
Selling Dealer 171063 Selling Country USA

AWS Claim Key Trx Code Time In Service Labor Hours Dealership DIST (Miles) Repair Date Prefix Base Suffix Doc
Details 2836573 S07 11 4.9 ENCHANTMENT FORD LINCOLN MERCURY 21762 01-FEB-07 4C3Z 9P456 AF 13302201
Customer Comments CUSTOMER STATES ENGINE OVERHEATED BLEW OUT WHITE SMOKE
Tech Comments TECH INSPECTED FOUND COOLANT LOW REMOVED EGR VAVE IS WET REMOVED INTAKE MANIFOLD,TURBO, AND RELATED PARTS REMOVED EGR COOKER PRESSURE TESTED COOLER LEAKING NEEDS REPLACED INSTALLED NEW EGR COOLER ASSY. REASSEMBLED CLEANED ENGINE TEST DROVE SEVERAL MILES ALL OK AT THIS TIME NO LEAKS
Details 3482380 S07 14 3.6 BUTLER FORD 30786 24-APR-07 4C3Z 9E527 AA 112711A
Customer Comments CUSTOMER STATES WHILE DRIVING VEHICLE CUT OUT AND DIED
Tech Comments 30795 VERIFY CONCERN,INSPECT CHASSIS PASS,TEST FOR CLEAN FUEL PASS,OIL LEVEL LOW ADD 2 QTS OF 15W40 OIL,ON DEMAND PASS,CONTUNOUS PASS,INJECTO RS PASS,FUEL PRESSURE PASS 50 PSI,PERFORM DCL DISPLAY FOUND ICP HAS 58 PSI SHOULD BE 500 TO START TEST BASE OIL PRESSURE 60 PSI,DISASSEMBLE LEFT HEAD AND PERFORM PRESSURE AND LEAK TESTS AND FOUND NUMBER 2 INJECTOR LEAKING OIL SEVERLY
Details 4327547 S07 18 8.1 RANCHO FORD 44018 14-AUG-07 4C3Z 9E527 AA 47758302
Customer Comments CUST STATES COLD START RUNS ROUGH, LOSS OF POWER WAS TOLD POSSIBLE TURBO?
Tech Comments VERIFY CONCERN RUNS ROUGH,ECCTEST P0263,P0284,P0270,VISUAL INSPEC PASS,NO INTAKE RESTRICTION,FUEL PRESS TEST PASS 50PSI FUEL AERATION TEST PASS,POWER BALANCE TEST SHOWS #1,#4,#8 INJECTORS DOWN,KOEO INJECTOR TEST FAIL #4,P P TEST P FAIL #1,#4,#8 FOUND INJECTOR PIN BROKEN ON #4 INJECTOR, R R VALVE COVERS AIR TEST HIGH PRESS SYSTEM,R R 1,4,8 INJECTORS,RESTOR
Details 4919538 S07 21 6.4 RANCHO FORD 57619 06-NOV-07 4C3Z 9E527 AA 48432901
Customer Comments RUNS ROUGH
Tech Comments VERIFY RUNS ROUGH.CAUSE 7,3,5,6 FUEL INJECTORS LOW CONTRIBUT ING.EEC TEST P0275,P0278,INJECTOR SELF TEST PASS.GOOD FUEL W 48PSI FUEL PRESSURE,PERFORM PINPOINT TEST P1 PASS.PEFORM ENHANCED POWER BALANCE FOUND 7,5,6 45%LOW,AND 3 40%LOW CONTRIBUTING.REPLACEMENT WAS NECC.RETEST PASS.VEHICLE WORKIN G TO SPEC.
Details 9557840 S07 59 4 SUNLAND FORD 73016 10-JAN-11 4C3Z 9E527 BRM 41882901
Customer Comments CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON CHECK AND ADVISE
Tech Comments 9696 CC42 CP 9E527 VERIFIED CONCERN ENGINE LIGHT ON. PREFORMED 6.0L DIESEL DIAG NO VISIBLE LEAKS, COOLANT AND OIL LEVEL OK, NO INTAKE OR EXHAUST RESTRICTIONS. CHECKED FOR CODES FOUND P0272 FOLLOWED PINPOINT TEST P1 FUEL QUALITY CLEAN, KOEO PASS, KOER P0272. P9 POWER BALANCE CYLINDER #4 60 DROP. P10 RELATIVE COMPRESS ION PASS 0% ON ALL CYLINDERS. P11 FUEL PRESSURE AT 51PSI WIT
Details 9685163 P18 63 1.2 SUNLAND FORD 73820 03-MAY-11 4C3Z 12A342 AA 42352901
Customer Comments CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AGAIN SEE HISTORY CHECK ALL AND ADVISE ADDITIONAL TECH COMMENTS AVAILABLE BY FAX
Tech Comments 9696 ENGINE HOURS 2018 CC42 CP 12A342 VERIFIED CONCERN ENGINE LIGHT ON. PREFORMED 6.0L DIESEL DIAGNOSTICS. PRELIMINARY CHECKS OK, NO INTAKE OR EXHAUST RESTRICTIONS. CHECKED FOR CODES CONTINOUS CODES P0678. PREFO RMED GLOWPLUG MONITORING SELFTEST P0678 PINPOINT TEST AF CHECKED RESISTANCE AT BUS BAR 204OHMS. AF3 CHECKED RESISTANC E AT 4OHMS. ALSO FOUND LEFT SIDE GLOW PLUG HARNESS LEAKING O

blacksnapon

Staff member
Looks like you've had a lot of injectors replaced, egr cooler replaced.

l

Guys,
Any chance I could get some feedback on questions 1 - 5? I have the feedback you guys gave me from the VIN scan on my first post. Much appreciated!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
The manuals that I look at are FOMOCO. Way too much to download here. You might try Chilton or Motor. Your ect/eot spread is perfect. Theres no pressure sensor in the coolant. It was probably just a defective clamp on the hose.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. Next time I tow I'm thinking hook up the scanner and watch the readings. I'll get a book so I know which accronym (sensors) to keep a close eye on.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts