Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transforming a '50 F3 into a 4x4

I'm wondering if anybody can help me out. I'm deployed to Iraq and I've been buying parts I'll need to transform my 1950 Ford F3 into a 4x4. The only thing I'm concerned about is the front axle. I've got a front Dana 60 with 36.5 spring centers from an '89 F350 lying around at home, but I'm not sure if it will work or not since I can't go out to the truck and measure. I'm thinking that the frame might be too narrow to properly mount up to the axle, even if I were to relocate the spring perches on the axle or mount spring hangars that would relocate the springs to the outside of the frame. Does anybody have any info on this that could help me out? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Fellro

Staff member
If I were to do it, I would probably just relocat the perches on the axle to get it right. The other option would be to add frame sections to mount the springs to, but I would go with the perches.

The '89 axle will be too wide for the fenders on your '50. You need axles, both front and rear from a pre '73 Ford truck. There is a small difference in width between the '48-52 truck and the pre '73. I think the difference between the '89 and the older axle is about 5-6 inches.

carden85,
First and foremost, thank you for your service to our country :flag: Welcome to FTF. Post up and post often, owning a Ford you're among family here.

Where are you located here in the states. We have many talented and knowledgeable folks here that might be able to help you with your questions. Last but not least, ya got any pictures of your truck you might be able to post? We sure would like to see them...

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
putting the body on a pre 73 truck would probably be the easiest thing to do.

And again thanks for serving our country.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The body swap is most common. If memory serves me the frame get narrower towards front. Making the use of stock axle harder when making mount for springs. But you can do it.

putting the body on a pre 73 truck would probably be the easiest thing to do.

And again thanks for serving our country.

Man, if you posted that reply on the other Ford truck site they would chew you up and spit you out. For some reason that subject use to ignite a firestorm of negative reaction, now the question gets pretty much ignored, I thing because it's been beat to death over there. I've never tried to update a chassis under a Bonus Built, either by modifying the original frame or doing a complete swap, but either one sounds like a whole lot of work. There are a few guys on the other site that have done the newer chassis swap. One person used a post '73 chassis and from a F-350 under his F-3 and did an excellent job. Most of the other that did the newer chassis swap used either an Explorer or S-10 chassis. The consensus is that it easiest to swap axles from the pre '73 Ford under the stock chassis.

One major problem with swapping in a newer chassis is the bump in the frame just behind the front wheels. The stock frame is flat. You'd have to address this problem by cutting it out and Z welding the frame. That is what the guy with the F-3 did. Then you'd have to fab a bunch of brackets to mount the front sheet metal, cab and box. To me swapping in the newer axles would be the easier way to go, but again, I've never done either so I don't know. I like to keep mine stock.

Thanks for the advice guys. To answer Blue Goose, I'm from Buhler KS. All the Ford friends I had have moved away so I've been on my own for a while now. I'll try to get some pictures up here soon of the F3. Its still just a rusted pile right now, but we all have to start somewhere. I'll get some pics of my F-250 Super Duty up as well. While I'm at it, do any of you know where I can get two new "FORD" emblems for the hood? I've been able to find every piece but these.

I just checked the Dennis Carpenter, Bob Drake and LMC web sites, none of them carry them. They show up on eBay quite often. That may be your best bet.

Ford Truck Articles