Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission advice.

Hello everyone I'm new to this site. I have a 51 F1 with the nasty un-synchromeshed 3 speed tranny behind a flathead v8. To make the truck a little more enjoyable to drive, is there any other transmission that bolts up to the flathead that is synchromeshes? Thanks in advance for any info on this matter.

Welcome to the forum! If it is a 3 speed, are you sure it's non-syncro? Column shift or floor shift? AFAIK, both of the 3 speed transmissions of the era (light and heavy duty) were syncronized on gears 2 and 3. You do need to come to a full stop to slide into 1st without grinding.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I agree with Wayne on the 3 spds.

Is this column shift or floor?

The truck floor shift, 4 spd is non-synchro'd. You can start out in 2nd thinking you're in 1st (granny low).

I don't know if its just me but I can shift up just fine with this gearbox, but downshifting is impossible for me.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I remember having to learn to shift a lot slower when driving the '48. There is a lot of rotating mass inside the gearbox and it takes a bit for it to slow down. Push in the clutch, pause and they try to gently find your gear.

If you can shift up ok, it must be synchro'd. 1st gear still requires being stopped to engage.

It's a whole 'nother driving experience.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
When you do get the chance to roll it out, let us know how it goes. If your clutch pedal needs adjustment, it can cause some of the problems you describe.

Ok I finally got the 51 out for a drive. It is a four speed on the floor and now I remember why I thought it was a three speed. The first gear is so low I don't use it. No matter what I do it will not go into gear when I try to downshift it. It shifts up flawlessly if I double clutch it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Shifting without synchronizers is an art form as much as it is science. If it shifts up flawlessly the only advice I can give is practice, practice, practice.... on untraveled back roads where you can just mess around with it.

It's all about listening to the rpms of the engine. With practice you can even shift without using the clutch. Downshifting, the rpms need to be higher - try to imagine what the engine would be turning at that speed in the next lower gear and aim for that.

This is where the fun comes in and in case you wonder about damage to the transmission, don't worry. You can't hurt those 4 spds - and if you do I have one taking up space in my shop that I'll never use.

+1..smilieIagree

Once I had to drive my car for a whole week with out a clutch cable,it wasnt
too bad until I had to come up to stop,but all I did was thow it in nuet,
an shut the engine off,put it in first,an restart engine to take off,an went
through the gears....smilieFordlogo

Thanks for the pointers! I guess I'm going to have to put some windshield time in, but not until I get my new Reds Headers bolted on. Maybe the extra sound will help me downshift.:)

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I've always found that shifting by sound is the best way to go. As stated it is an art form as well as a science... Although i lean more towards the art form. Spend some time on an empty road where your under no pressure and just roll with it... Post back up and let us know how it goes.

+1..smilieIagree

Once I had to drive my car for a whole week with out a clutch cable,it wasnt
too bad until I had to come up to stop,but all I did was thow it in nuet,
an shut the engine off,put it in first,an restart engine to take off,an went
through the gears....smilieFordlogo

Done that after a night of 4 wheelin and busted the clutch linkage.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
What Tim said. Rev 'er up for the downshift.

I find downshifting is easier in a non synchro transmission if you don't use the clutch at all. That's just me though.

Thanks again for all the advice! It just snowed here in North Dakota:( Looks like it may be awhile before trying out all the new shifting tricks.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts