Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

96 f150 5.0 4x4 - Transmission and fuel problem.

RED352

Florida Chapter member
Ok I have a long wheel base f150 dual tanks. Was at triple canopy mud hole riding around. Came to a stop, went to take off and had nothing from the transmission. No reverse or drive. I check the fluid. Looks fine and doesn't smell burnt. I get pulled back to camp. I shut the truck off while I go over what it could be. All linkage is good, along with wiring too. I go to crank the truck and it won't crank. Relays are good, fuses are good just no fuel. Neither pump is coming on. No codes or anything popping up. Anyone have a clue on either. Thanks in advance.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Looks like a neutral safety switch concern. Check the adjustment on the MLP (manual lever position) sensor. And clean the connector.

Do you have power leaving the selector switch?
Sounds like a bad selector switch or plugs and wiring to the tanks.

1996%2049-2_zpslutnjoho.jpg

/

RED352

Florida Chapter member
Bingo!! No power coming out of switch. New $18 switch and fuel is flowing. Thanks for the help on that. Now just need to figure out the transmission. When the truck was running and the transmission still cool I could put it in gear and would slightly move. The same with reverse. But I have the parking brake light on and it sounded like the brakes were locked up in the rear. I let it run for a little bit. Tried to put it in gear and reverse again and had nothing at all after the transmission warmed up.

Sounds like low oil pressure in the transmission. Could be a lot of things as the PCM Computer controls the transmission from a bad TPS to a bad plug going into the solenoid pack on the passenger side of the transmission.

Ford Truck Articles