Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Voltage Problems

UPDATE: I cleaned and greased the grounds for the fuel pump and computer. I also did a voltage drop test on the positive cable from battery to starter: during initial engine start volts went a little passed 0.3V, it then leveled out at 0 quickly after. Normal? I'm struggling finding out where the negative cable grounds to the engine, it looks to be near the flywheel.

Also, just learned that it is the original alternator in my truck and it is making a squeak/growling noise now with a new serp belt on.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Some grounded near the flywheel on the block, others under the motor mount. Both good spots. Just make sure everything is clean.

The growling on the alternator could be the front bearing in the alternator, could also be the tensioner on the belt. Does the belt bounce, and jump while it's running?
Could also be the idler pulley bearing.
All 3 not too hard to diagnose, or change.

No bounce in belt. The belt will start moving and then about 10-30 secs later the noise starts. Seems to be coming from around alternator.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Remove the belt, and give each of the components and pulleys a spin by hand. see if something is stiff, or noisy. Could even be a noisy water pump

Holy hell, replaced battery cables, it was a nightmare. Cables appeared to be good with good connections but I replaced them anyways. I still have high voltage, I'll post if intermittent voltage problem with stall happens again.

Noise from belt is idler pulley and tensioner pulley, I will be replacing those soon.

Thanks for the help! Until next time!

Even more codes

So after replacing the battery cables there was no change. It has gotten pretty cold here (0degsF, -20F with windchill) and my check engine light comes on in the morning after i start driving. It turns off after a few minutes. During this time the truck runs sluggish with choppy shifting. KOEO codes:
116-ECT sensor (signal voltage is higher/lower than expected)
636-TOT sensor (signal voltage is higher/lower than expected)
114-ACT sensor (signal voltage is higher/lower than expected)
335-PFE/EPT (signal voltage is higher/lower than expected)
CM CODES
172-HEGO sensor voltage signal indicates lean (blank#1)
176-HEGO sensor voltage signal indicates lean (blank#2)
211-PIP sensor circuit failure
332-insufficient EGR flow detected

So I'm thinking either a short (do these sensors point to a common location?) Or voltage regulator (even though alternator passed bench test).

I am losing my mind and spending a lot of money, please help!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts