Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tire Ratings

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Alright... Someone clue me in. I have a theory of how this works, but honestly don't know.

How do you rate tire sizes? Stock tire size on my 1994 F-150 is 235/75/15. I know the last number is easy to get, but the other two?

Someone clue me in, as I'll need new tires after this season.

Ryan

I am not sure what you are asking. "rate tire size"

Do you mean a conversion from metric to inches?

Try this:

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

I know...its a dodge site, but there are several conversions there.

BTW: you have tiny tires for a full size. Mine (stock) are 255/70/16s on the explorer (has the sport package). That translates to 30.1 tall and 10 wide.

EDIT: I think..think that the 235 is the height in millimeters and the 75 is the percentage of the height (width of tread). Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
on say a 235/85 r16 tire, the tire tread width is the 235 mm, the 85 is called aspect ratio, meaning thet the sidewall is 85% of the tread width, and the 16 is obviously rim size. So then a 245/75 r 16 tire is smaller diameter than the 235/85, because it is only 75% of the tread width for sidewall height.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
a 235/75 R15 tire has a diameter of 28.88 inches, a 255/70 r15 has a diameter of 29.06. so whatever you had for original tire size, if it was the 235's, you won't get much difference other than the width. If you had 215's, you definitely would.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I buy all my tires from discount tire store (Americas tire store in some parts of the country) They are good price/service/knowledge wise

Fellro

Staff member
It seems counter-intuitive for the tires to be about the same, but the aspect ratio makes a big difference.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I've ran the Duelers from sears before. I think mine were 31x10.50. It was on a 95 F150 2wd. They wore like iron and had pretty good traction, on and off road. To me they were a well rounded work tire.

Ford Truck Articles