Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bad starter

Looks I have a bad starter, got off the truck, neighbor tested it, nothing. Next step get it to the parts store, neighbor advised avoid Napa, and go to Carquest. Reman vs new 50 dollar price diff, any one have an opinion here?

Alright thanks Smokey, think I will take your advice. Was trying to save a few bucks, cuz it's already been an expensive week, lol, but that thing was a pain to get out, don't want to have to do it again for awhile.

Fellro

Staff member
Be aware there are 3 styles of IDI starter. One is the old direct drive AC Delco starter, used on the early 6.9. Then there is the two gear reduction starters, one is a Mitsubishi, don't recall the other. The Mitsu starter is the one to get if you have a choice. It is smaller but more effective. Much easier to install...

Last edited:
Yeah seemed straight forward until I looked on Amazon, now rather confused. Some are 14 pounds, some 9. The one I took off is a heavy sob, marked Japan and 2001.

Fellro

Staff member
The Mitsu starter is the smallest.

Sounds like he had a bad experience with some rebuilt parts in the past.

and guess whose 3 and a 1/2 month old starter just went out...? This guys! lol, a new Subaru's starting to sound better and better.

alright, so I learnt that I needed to replace the solenoid too. Just did that, still nothing. the part I got from Napa is St404, just looked it up, says it's for a gas engine. Not listed for the diesel, any guesses on whether this could be un problem?

Fellro

Staff member
All it does is connect the terminals, so it really doesn't matter gas or diesel. To add to it, all it does is connect the battery to the solenoid on the starter. Yes, there are TWO solenoids to run the starter. You did change the one attached to the fender, not the one on the fenderwell, correct? Also need to verify the electricity is even getting through, as you can have a bad connection that won't show up necessarily since it is in tandem like that. The heavy battery cable can lose connection, as can the solenoid energizing wire. You could just as easily be losing connection at the battery.

Hey Mr. Fellro, thanks for the reply. Going out right now to check the juice. Yes replaced the one on the fender behind the battery, passenger side. Where is the other one?

Fellro

Staff member
The one for the glow plugs is located down on the flat of the inner fender well. The second for the starter is actually on the starter itself if that is what you are asking.

hooked up my test light to the negative terminal, lit up at the starter and solenoid, so as far as I know they are good? If I can't figure anything else out by next Monday, gonna have to tow her to the mechanic.

Fellro

Staff member
Which wires are you checking at the starter? You need to also engage the solenoid and check the small wire at the starter. Also, try hooking from a good ground on the motor, this will help verify the motor is grounding as well. A bad ground hookup can also make trouble.

good morning, thanks for your help again, slowly figuring this out, not a big deal to take her to the mech. Checked the positive wires, that's where I got juice. Was by my self so couldn't turn the ignition. Don't really understand the concept of ground...

Fellro

Staff member
Electricity is kind of like a bunch of hoses hooked up. In order for it to flow, the hoses all need to be connected, and can't leak out. If it leaks out, it can't return right? Just one continuous loop... So a bad connection at ground cable makes for a place the "water" can get out and not make it back to the battery. That is all a "ground" is, a return path to the battery.

thanks for breaking it down for me Fellro, and to tell you how dense I am, finally found the receipt for the starter, (my mechanic friend seems to think that is the problem), and guess what? I bought a damn reman! lol, One of the first posts on this thread said avoid 'em, so gonna make time to pull that damn thing and test it... I'll keep ya'll posted.

Fellro

Staff member
Mine's a reman, and doing fine, but it can be hit or miss.

Any good ideas how one gets that top bolt removed? Extremely PO'd right now, don't recall it being this difficult last time...

Ford Truck Articles