Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Intakes

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas, just looking for some pros and cons behind different intakes. I'll admit, I'm a complete dunce when it comes to understanding the engineering behind an intake manifold and I have NO clue what makes one better than the other. I always just run the Edelbrock Performer, but I really don't know if it's the best application out there. So if you guys could give me a little feedback on these Intakes:

Eddy SP2P: discontinued but are readily available used (I've read the runners are too small and the engine runs outta steam at about 3500rpm)
Eddy Streetmaster: same as above
Eddy Performer: What I currently use
Eddy Performer Air gap: Would have to be adapted since it's a 351C intake (good idea or not)

Weiand Action Plus: Pretty interested in this intake (prefer Holley products, and it seems to have a broader range)

Offenhauser Dual Port: I'm really interested in this one, but wonder why it's almost double in price over the next most expensive. I've only known one person to actually have one, but never used it. Offy claims to offer better fuel economy and 15-30% power increase over the next best intake.

Thanks for any and all input.

I am running the Weiand action plus #8010, I dont have any complaints but i dont have much to compare it to.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
...You trying to get into someone's sig???

I'm just honest...if that gets me in a sig...then I guess I'll become an FTF famous dunce.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I am running the Weiand action plus #8010, I dont have any complaints but i dont have much to compare it to.

Yeah, that's my problem too...I've only ever run Eddy intakes, so I don't have anything to compare it to. And I don't exactly have $200-400 to drop on each of those intakes just to try them out. So I guess I'm looking for the science behind the intakes...what actually makes one better than the other?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ya got the old cast one dont ya? I compare my edelbrock to my cast iron intake on my 76. I dont think that theres much of a difference between brands they just say there is so you will pay for a more expensive intake.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah, I got two cast irons...I might just have to compare the stock to the Eddy. AFAIK the Performer is basically an updated version of the SP2P and Streetmasters. As I also understand, the Performer and Action Plus are pretty much on the same playing field, however, the AP seems to have a wider power band. But there has to be something totally different about that Offy Intake. I mean you can get a Performer of AP for under $225, but the Offy is a minimum $410.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I posted a engine build some where it compared 4 different makes of Intakes.
from what I remember right the Weiand action plus had larger ports then the Eddy..

tim meyer used to have a comparison on his site...i believe he said the performer was the best all around but they all have their place... you didn't add the holley street dominator either to your list.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
tim meyer used to have a comparison on his site...i believe he said the performer was the best all around but they all have their place... you didn't add the holley street dominator either to your list.

First off...I wanna say it's great to see you over here. Secondly I remember that comparison, and I guess that's why I stuck with the Performer. IIRC...he used the Weiand, Eddy and the Holley right? I guess that gives me the info for those 3 intakes...Now I really wanna find info on the Offy.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
im getting the eddy performer air gap for my high winding 5.0 letsee how it will do

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
There is a brand on Intakes that's very high end but god help me remember the name, it has a really long German'ish sounding name..
But if you look at all the top dollar builds the 30K racing engines they all use Eddies so that has to tell you some thing.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Tex...is that 'Germanish' name you're thinking of Offenhauser? That's the intake I'm really interested in finding out information about. Basically, all I can find about it is what the manufacturer says about it, which seems kinda vague and like what all the others say about their intakes. So I was wondering why Offenhauser can command a premium at almost double the nexe most expensive competitor.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
yeah Offenhauser! that's it, a guy wanted to sell me one for like 400 bucks for my 302 then I found out the intake was rated at 2k to 7500 rpms :p..
From what I've heard is that Offenhauser is among of the "best made" best performing intakes there is, now if that's true I have no idea, but when I looked in to them all the info I could about them is they are all made for very high RPM engines...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
everything is like that thats why summit exists lol

Why is that though...I figured buying directly from the manufacturer would be cheaper because there would be less channels to pass through, thus resulting in less price. But that would make too much sense wouldn't it?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts