Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 on craigslist

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd say $250 is a fair starting point...I always try to jew them down...But if it has unknown mileage and has been sitting for 2 years...I'd definitely try talking him down. I've seen similar engines go for $50.

I'd say $250 is a fair starting point...I always try to jew them down...But if it has unknown mileage and has been sitting for 2 years...I'd definitely try talking him down. I've seen similar engines go for $50.

Its either that or i can go to the junkyard and get a 460 for 150 dollars. I was wondering though would the intake i got for the 400 fit on a 460?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think you'd probably have less money into the 460 when it's said and done. And no, the 400 intake won't work on the 460.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...only thing you can do now is take an intensive look at the 400 and really see how much work it's really gonna be. If it spins free, heads look good, etc. then you may be in the same position as getting the junked 460. Wish you luck...fingers crossed.

Its a pre77 engine, check the casting id adn avoid the michigan block, heads will need a bit of porting on the exaust side due to port bellies...

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I can get unknown condition 'rebuildable core' engines all day long for $50-$100, so it'd be a no deal for me. Remember that if it's 'unknown condition' you have to consider that it's probably shot. Rebuilds are expensive.

If you could beat him down on the price I'd go for it though...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Rebuilds aren't that expensive on these engines...you can do a complete stock/mild rebuild for under 3k. That said, how much are you wanting to put into this engine if it is trashed?????? Keep in mind you can go get a complete reman'd enging from a parts store for under 2k, there's a guy here who got one from autozone for 1300. Just a thought.

Ford Truck Articles