Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

lookin for some opinions...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im lookin into building a stroked winnie,

Im not sure yet if i want to go with a 408 stroker or a 396,

Either way it will be forged internals, With 2 snails and the possibilty of a bottle, i think it would be best to go forged. Suggestions?

Also what kind of power and boost are stock blocks capable of? Anybody know?

i messed up......

Last edited:
lmao stroked winnie, in all seriousness id go with a 408, go read around on sbftech.com, some really knowledgeable guys, and talk to woody on there or on fordstrokers.com

Considering the fact you plan to force feed and spray this beast I suspect a few extra cubic inches is not going to make any difference, it would be better to leave the block at the stock bore and retain as much strength as possible.

Muh the dart would still be cooler. lol But yeah, I'd build the stock block first also.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
dart block= more money....
Stock block= free....

Based on my analysis, it would be in my bank accounts best interest if i built the stock block first... As long as the forged rotating mass would still work in the dart block.... am i correct on this assumtion?

You are correct Sir... But hey, if I'm spending your money might as well go whole hog if ya know what I mean.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Had a stock block 408 550 rear wheel HP no power adders, If you can find a early 351 block 69 ish (can't remember for sure) thats the way to go they were cast thicker. I used a 70's block with no problem.

Remember that there are two different deck heights on the 351 Windsor.

The '69-'70 was .020 shorter.

The Windsor uses a not so RPM friendly 3" main, that's why you'll see the aftermarket blocks (FRPP, Dart etc)use the Cleveland main journal size. (2.75")

IMHO, if you're thinking about the HP numbers I think you're thinking about, (you mentioned twin turbo) and the fact that the crankshafts will not interchange between a stock Windsor and Dart block, I would START with an aftermarket block.

That and the possibility that if you frag the stock block, there's a good chance that you'll hurt some of those other parts you thought you could swap over.

I have been personally stocking up on 4 bolt Cleveland blocks. (I currently have 2 of them) With the correct oiling mods, and the fact that the aftermarket is making kick butt heads (check out CHI and AFD) the Cleveland will make a lot more power than a Windsor, be cheaper vs the Dart block and be somewhat unique.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts