Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Steering/Hydaboost - Question???

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here is a TSB for the condition below.

I do not suffer from this issue, but would like to clean/filtert my P/S fluid and then flush it with new fluid (want to get any sediment out that may be present)?

2003-07 trucks grabbing brakes, pedal kickback:
This may be caused by power steering fluid contamination in the hydroboost system. There is a procedure for installing a temporary filter between the power steering pump and cooler to clean the system. After the cleaning procedure is complete and no brake grabbing or excessive steering effort is felt, remove and discard the filter. If brake grabbing continues, replace the hydroboost unit. Filter P/N XC3Z-7B155-BA; TSB# 99-25-8, 7-11-10

QUESTIONS I HAVE:

1) What is cost of this temporary filter at the dealer (if I buy it)?

2) How long does one leave "in-line" - want it to filter, but not become clogged... maybe use two filters over 1 or 2 days time?

3) What does the dealer charge to do this service (parts & labor) or can I do it at home one afternoon (I suspect I can)?
---------------------------------------------

I have replaced my fluid by sucking it out with a basting bulb and re-filling (several times over several days).. so my fluid is OK, but concerned that sediment is in the system and not moving around unless under pressure... in which an in-line filter would be the best solution!!! smiliegitrdone

blacksnapon

Staff member
its been updated

Printable View (51 KB)
TSB
07-11-10 BRAKE PEDAL KICKBACK OR GRABBING

Publication Date: May 23, 2007

FORD: 1997-2007 E-Series
1999-2008 F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion

This article supersedes TSB 99-25-8 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-Boost® brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes. This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.

ACTION:
Filter the power steering fluid by installing a temporary filter in the power steering system. Refer to the Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-Boost® are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.
Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.
Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).
Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.
Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.
FILTERING PROCEDURE

CAUTION: BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.

Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.
Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.
NOTE: DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.
Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.
Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.
Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-00 Power Steering System Filling.
With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-Boost® brake booster. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XC3Z-7B155-BA Power Steering Fluid Filter Asy
5C7Z-2005-B Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1999-2004 F-Super Duty / 2000-2005 Excursion
6C3Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2005-2007 F-Super Duty
7C3Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2008 F-Super Duty
F7UZ-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1997-1998 E-Series
XC2Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1999-2001 E-Series
6C2Z-2005-AB Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2002-2007 E-Seres

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks Vince....

Have you done this and does it work.

Is just a few turns of the wheel and a few pumps of the pedal enough to move that much fluid and sediment through the filter?

What happens if I were to leave it one for 1 day?

Do you have an idea of cost?

Do you believe, in your professional experience, that this would be a good "preventative service" to do every year?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Beach, to be honest, with the regular maintenance that you do, it would be unnecessary. Besides, I looked up the filter, and its the one that goes in the trans filter (toilet paper roll). You still need the filter assembly.

How about getting a tranny filter (aftermarket) and just filter it that way.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Beach, to be honest, with the regular maintenance that you do, it would be unnecessary. Besides, I looked up the filter, and its the one that goes in the trans filter (toilet paper roll). You still need the filter assembly.

Wow, what an expensive filter to use for 20 - 30 minutes.

Satcom40, Interesting thought about using a tranny filter set-up.

My 1987 Mercedes diesel had a P/S filter with a drop in filter (like a tranny filter).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
What is the hose diameter of the low-pressure side hose of the P/S system.

I saw where the Magnafine brand of filters comes in various sizes and needed/wanted to know?

Comes in 3/8", 5/16" and 1/2" sizing.

Picture below of the filter itself (cut-a-way).

Here is their actual website...
http://www.magnefine.com/default.html

Thanks,

Attachments

• Magnafine filter.jpg
  • magnefineinstallation.jpg
Last edited:
How long can we leave this filter inline, did it say.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
How long can we leave this filter inline, did it say.

It stated to change yearly, but I would see myself changing after 1 month of driving to clean the system and then maybe yearly.

That sound good to me, I'm at 89k so not too long for me. Thanks for the infor.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Vince,

What is the diameter of the P/S return line hose?

Which of the sizes mentioned previously would be the size to use?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I think it will be 3/8. The later models have 1/2.

What do you mean you think.... you know all, O' mighty one!!!

When are you coming back up to KC for training or meetings?

Heck... I'll even buy you a case of Coke to personally work on my truck... then I can brag that O'l Vinney from Waynesville, MO personally takes of me... you can give my local Ford tech at Shawnee Mission Ford in Shawnee, KS a run for his money.... he only drinks Coke's as well.

Always need a non-drinking sober mechanic to work on my truck... heaven knows I drink to much sometimes!!!smilieeatndrink

blacksnapon

Staff member
Know all?......Nope, just good a faking it! Haven't really had any instances to concentrate on the p/s lines. The 06 and 05 I last worked on had a 1/2 return line on the reservoir, but for some reason I'm thinking its smaller on the 03. The last talk of training, was for trans (and they were thinking Omaha)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Emailed Magnefine and and here is their reply...

http://www.magnefine.com/

Wow... I am impressed!!!
Len,
Came across your website for P/S filters.
I drive a 2003 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L diesel motor and am interested in your P/S filter set-up.
Questions I have:
1) Which size will fir the return line of my model year and motor truck (I think 3/8")?

Len - Correct 3/8" will install into the return line
2) Where in Kansas City, or which auto parts stores carry your filters or is it Internet only?
Len - The power Steering Filter kit is only available from our web site

3) Is there one model that fits my truck as I see myself changing it out after 1 or 2 months at first, then yearly?

Len - Yes this will install into your Steering system

I also would like you to consider the Magnefine filter for your auto transmission. I believe that your truck has a 5 speed torqshift transmission. This transmission has a 1/2" cooler line.
My recommendation would to install a Magnefine filter to protect your transmission. The Magnefine transmission filter is approved by Ford. I have attached the service bulletin for your reference.

Both of these products are available from our web site - www.bossproducts.us

Below is the PDF file of the Ford TSB he sent me. It appears that the filter is to be used when a rebuilt tranny is installed... but obviously, it can't hurt to use all the time.

Here is the TSB info:
307-01B-1 Automatic Transmission — TorqShift

(On edit, I can not upload the PDF file and will have to ask the Admin to do so for me).

ON EDIT2: Here's the PDF in JPEG form:
Page 1
Page 2

I think I may buy the 3/8" filter for my P/S system next week and try.

What do you guys think... Vince???

Last edited by a moderator:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
As of Sunday afternoon, I just placed an order for one of their P/S in-line filters.

The filter cost $26.75 and shipping was $6.00, so the total was $32.75.

I am sort of impressed with this set-up, low cost and the fact that Ford has a TSB for use of their tranny filter when doing a rebuild... so if good enough for Ford and their transmissions, then good enough for me on my P/S system!!!

Here is their contact info for the US division/office.

Boss Products USA
7879 Jackson Road, Suite E
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Toll Free: 866-643-5877
Phone:
734-424-0487
Fax: 734-424-0656

Email: [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The filter cost $26.75 and shipping was $6.00, so the total was $32.75.
That's it?!?! That's way inexpensive for the peace of mind and protection it'll offer. Question though, is the filter available from an auto parts store, or will we have to buy the repleacements directly from them?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think the p/s filter will be a good deal. I have access to all tsbs and theres nothing with those numbers. I think the stock torqueshift filter is fine.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
That's it?!?! That's way inexpensive for the peace of mind and protection it'll offer. Question though, is the filter available from an auto parts store, or will we have to buy the repleacements directly from them?

Directly from them (I asked), but in the PDF file TSB (Have asked Admin to post for me due to size), Ford lists a part number for it... so maybe a dealer can order or sell it???

Ford Truck Articles