Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

harrisden

blacksnapon

Staff member
Picture_300.jpg
Picture_3071.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And you are fixing????????

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
All that for a head gasket? Are they that easy to pull off?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
You'd be surprised.....it's just THAT much easier to work on them with the cabs and front clips off.......I'd rather (and have) lift the whole front end assembly rather than fight with something and get frustrated because it's being PITA.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
All that for a head gasket? Are they that easy to pull off?
Easier to pull the cab than to lift VERY heavy heads off from underneath the hood. Not that they're all the way under, but they ain't easy to get to!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Easier to pull the cab than to lift VERY heavy heads off from underneath the hood. Not that they're all the way under, but they ain't easy to get to!

Is it just the hood that gets in the way? And how heavy are those heads? I get if you're doing that frequently, or have access to a lift, why not...but if you're a shade tree mechanic, can't you just take the hood off to make things easier?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Nah, it ain't the hood.....the way the cowl is and how far back the firewall sits.....the engine actually sits under the cowl a little ways....

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
The funny thing is this would not surprise my neighbors one bit if I did something like that in my driveway :rofl2: My neighbor had to do a fuel pump on his son's Ranger. He looked at me funny when I told him it was easier to take the bed off then drop the tank. But we did it and now he says he would do it like that over again.

Is that from using a good Oil and/or well made. Is this the frist time the head ben off. any other problem with the engine.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
The one on left doesn't either.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

blacksnapon

Staff member
Due to my photographic skills, the flash is on the problem. Third cyl from the left on the top has combustion gasses bypassing the sealing surface. Look carefully at the blue sealant all the way around each cylinder.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I think I see it. Where the color seems to change, right?

Ford Truck Articles