Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Progression of my exhaust

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I'm taking the Heddman headers off of my '79 F250 w/400, and I'm finally going to put the Sandersons and Magnaflows on.

Here's a vid I took last night of the current Heddman, generic 24" glasspack combo.

So tonight I did this YelloThumbUp
IMG_1729.jpg

and yes Ben that x-member is a problem on the 78-79's with long tube headers. Also notice how the collector barely rubbed on the front d-shaft.
IMG_1731.jpg

So here she is uncorked!

I'll be posting another video once I get the new exhaust completed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
OOOOOO...I can definitely tell a difference, I dare ya to leave it like that...haha. Thanks for the header info. So how long before MY sandies go on?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
It keeps saying "OOPS NO VIDEO"!!!

OK! Third time's the charm! Sounds good man!!!

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear what its going to sound like with the new combo. I don't mind the sound of the 400 with the straight headers, could use some more lope though YelloThumbUp

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I'll try to get your Sandies put on my truck this week. I'll have to check with the muffler guy if he has time next week to run the pipes.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Can't wait to hear what its going to sound like with the new combo. I don't mind the sound of the 400 with the straight headers, could use some more lope though YelloThumbUp

Oh it's lopy, I guess I could have let it idle a little more. It has a CompCams265Deh stick in it, not overly aggressive, but sounds pretty mean.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It keeps saying "OOPS NO VIDEO"!!!

Probably because his exhaust was sooooo loud his neighbors even filed a noise complaint with youtube.

Hmm...a cam upgrade...sounds like a good idea to me.

I'll try to get your Sandies put on my truck this week. I'll have to check with the muffler guy if he has time next week to run the pipes.

Sounds good, can't wait to hear it.

On edit...didn't know your truck was cammed up already...scratch my second comment.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Oh yeah, she's cammed.

It was still on a bit of a fast idle untill right before I shut it off. It's fairly lumpy at idle.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Probably because his exhaust was sooooo loud his neighbors even filed a noise complaint with youtube.

I'm sure that lately they're like "what's that idiot doing now!". :rofl:

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Yea, sounds good that way. Who needs mufflers?

I tried to post a vid of mine last week, but it didn't work.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I know, the sould isn't all that different. The camera doesn't seem to catch the DB difference. Trust me it's loud straight off of the headers!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Ok, I got some more work done tonight.

Old headers are off, good riddance!............and the new ones in the shot, nice YelloThumbUp !
002-1.jpg

There's a slight difference in flange thickness
004-1.jpg

The new Magnaflows are SLIGHTLY shorter, so much for being somewhat quiet! smiliepeelout
008-1.jpg

The Craftsman cordless sawzall took care of the rest!
007-1.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First off...due to those first two pics...I hate you. Really, I'm not even playing. What headers were on there before...they look like an old set of blackjacks. Anyway, definitely a quality difference huh? How long was that frickin gpack???????? Looks like a good 30"er.

Can't wait to hear all the new stuff on...it's gonna sound mean...sure does look purdy as is. You plannin on painting them Sandies...or are you gonna hope for the best with any discoloration/rust? So far, so good on mine...but then again, I live in a different climate.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
First off...due to those first two pics...I hate you. Really, I'm not even playing. What headers were on there before...they look like an old set of blackjacks. Anyway, definitely a quality difference huh? How long was that frickin gpack???????? Looks like a good 30"er.

Can't wait to hear all the new stuff on...it's gonna sound mean...sure does look purdy as is. You plannin on painting them Sandies...or are you gonna hope for the best with any discoloration/rust? So far, so good on mine...but then again, I live in a different climate.

Hate all you want smilieneenar!!! It's not like you don't already have a set, you're just being greedy! BdayBigGrin

They're Heddmans, the second set that I've tried, neither one EVER sealed in numerous attempts.

The old G-packs are 31"s long overall, and the new Magnaflows are 20" overall! Should defenitly sound mean.

I'm going to leave 'em (the headers) as is and hope for the best. I'm assuming that the ceramic coating is fairly duable and rust resistant. Plus the plans are to have a triple garage built within 2 years. After that happens the "climate" factor will be gone.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Oh yeah, and you do get what you pay for. The Heddmans were about $150, the Sandersons, about $500.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles