Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Steering/Hydaboost - Question???

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Directly from them (I asked), but in the PDF file TSB (Have asked Admin to post for me due to size), Ford lists a part number for it... so maybe a dealer can order or sell it???
Yeah, I finally got off my mouse pad and looked the site over. Very interesting. I like the Aluminum one. :) It's only $134 too. Oh crap, no credit card to order it with! :D

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Yeah, I finally got off my mouse pad and looked the site over. Very interesting. I like the Aluminum one. :) It's only $134 too. Oh crap, no credit card to order it with! :D

Personally, go with the ABS plastic one and change it yearly... that's my plan.

I called and spoke to Boss Products today and they are in talks to sell their filters through autoparts stores at some point later this year. The guy I spoke too confirmed that Ford uses a 3/8" hose for their power-sterring units and they recommend an interval of 1/year or 50,000 miles... or whatever the user is comfortable with. He stated that depending on how dirty the current fluid maybe and/or the operating environment that the vehicle is driving in makes a big difference (as though we did not know that)!!

He advised that my filter shipped out today... so maybe next weekend (if it warms up) I may try and install it.

Last edited:
Lets us know how it go's, maybe a photo or two of the install.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Lets us know how it go's, maybe a photo or two of the install.

Of course... nothing less.

Now, I just need the weather to warm up a bit as I am due to change my oil and install this new P/S filter.

I have to check by files, I may be coming up on a fuel filter change as well?

Dam... I never have enough time in the day... or night!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Question guys.... Vince... you on-line to read this...?

When looking at my P/S res tank, there are thre hoses...

One goes to the brake system (hydraboost I assume).

One goes to the steering box and is the return line (from the steering box back to the P/S resorvoir). I assume that's the way it flows (up from the steering box to the res)?

And the third is a large hose of some sort, just not sure what this "large hose" is connected to and for.

My question is... isn't the hose I want to tap into the 3/8" (one of the smaller hoses and obviously no the one connected to the master cylinder)?

Thanks,

blacksnapon

Staff member
Either hose that has a clamp (not screwed in with a fitting) should work. The hoses with clamps are low pressure (return lines) One is 3/8, one is 1/2.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Either hose that has a clamp (not screwed in with a fitting) should work. The hoses with clamps are low pressure (return lines) One is 3/8, one is 1/2.

What is the larger one for (what does it connect to)?

What is the smaller one for... is this the steering gear box return line?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Strike that! I was thinking about the feed line from the reservoir to the pump. Just use the other 3/8 line.

Just so I am clear.... as my filters should arrive tomorrow and this weekend looks like it might warm up to the high 50's!!

My P/S resorvoir has three lines..

1) 3/8" line that appears to connect to the power steering gear box (return line from box to res) - Is this the corect line?

2) 3/8" that coonects the hydaboost master brake cylinder to the P/S res. (this is not the one I assume)?

3) 1/2" or larger line that connects right next to the other two on the bottom of the P/S res and I have no idea where it goes and what it is for.

Just so I am crystal clear... it is the 3/8" line that is NOT connected to the master cylinder and not the larger 1/2" or so line... it would be #1 mentioned above... correct? And am I correct that the flow goes in the direction from down below to "up to" the P/S res as this is held on with a compression clamp... so it is "low-pressure"... meaning a return line?

Thanks... just don't want to screw it up and I want to be 100% clear on what your telling me.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I think I would be more apt to put it in the one coming from the hydro-boost.

OK... please explain.

Do I need to worry about loosing too much fluid or if air gets in or drains out of the master cylinder... will the air work its self out?

Why not the other 3/8" hose?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Air isn't going to get into the master cylinder. The booster and master cyl are 2 separate systems (as far as fluids go). The line coming from the booster is easy to get to, will work for your application, and shouldnt cause any issues. The power steering system will be filtered at that point sufficiently.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Air isn't going to get into the master cylinder. The booster and master cyl are 2 separate systems (as far as fluids go). The line coming from the booster is easy to get to, will work for your application, and shouldnt cause any issues. The power steering system will be filtered at that point sufficiently.

QUESTIONS:
1) Which way does the fluid travel from the P/S to the master cylinder or master cylinder to the P/S resorvoir (need to know so I have the filter placed in the right fluid/flow direction?

2) Does the same amount/volume of fluid travel throughout the entire P/S system and hydraboost at the same time? Is this why your advising the hydraboost line due to how easy it is to get too?

3) Does the hydraboost line flow 100% of the time when the motor is on and the entire P/Steering & hydraboost is flowing P/S fluid?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Both 3/8" hoses at the bottom of the P/S resorvoir are easily accessible? If the one from the hydraboost is just as good, I guess it is a little easier?

So... it makes no difference where I put the filter "in-line", whether in the P/S portion or the hydraboost, it all flows 100% of the time the same amunt of fluid flow?

blacksnapon

Staff member
one of the 3/8 lines comes from the p/s cooler in front of the radiator, down low, the other comes from the booster. Both are low pressure return lines. Either place will filter the p/s fluid, the line on the driver side of the booster is easier to get to with less "tapping into the system".Both have flow increases when that part of the system is being used (p/s, or brakes).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
one of the 3/8 lines comes from the p/s cooler in front of the radiator, down low, the other comes from the booster. Both are low pressure return lines. Either place will filter the p/s fluid, the line on the driver side of the booster is easier to get to with less "tapping into the system".Both have flow increases when that part of the system is being used (p/s, or brakes).

So... if I tap into the P/S return line, the flow is from the "cooler" to the P/S resorvoir... correct?

I believe I like this "line" better as it will be flowing more fluid most of the time. Just need to confirm "fluid flow" direction now.

blacksnapon

Staff member
So... if I tap into the P/S return line, the flow is from the "cooler" to the P/S resorvoir... correct?

I believe I like this "line" better as it will be flowing more fluid most of the time. Just need to confirm "fluid flow" direction now.
Fluid in those lines is moving toward the reservoir (they are return lines).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Fluid in those lines is moving toward the reservoir (they are return lines).

Well... my filter didn't show up today, but this weekend is the weekend to do it... as it will be 58 degrees here in KC.

Busy weekend... change oil and install new P/S filter.

But dam.... it will be fun!!!!smiliegitrdone

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Started a new thread due to installing my Magnefine P/S fluid filter.

Figured the new thread would be easier for everyone now that I have uploaded pictures to it. Hopefully, the ADMIN will make the new thread (below) a forum "sticky" as I think it would be beneficial for many.

Here is the new thread link:
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3516

Have a good day. smiliegitrdone

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts