Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351W mods

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm not sure who makes it. I'm drawing a blank. They carry it at the auto parts store. There's some 500 degree stuff and some 1200 degree.

Ryan

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Anybody make one that goes higher than 1200? My EGT's hit the 2000 mark now and then. :D I need to find someone to do Ceramic Coatings. Anybody know anyone in Missouri that does??

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
2000* on your EGTs seems a little high, but I don't know much about diesels. I know my brother (7.3L) starts getting a little concerned once his EGTs get up near 1200-1300* and he starts to take it easy.

ponyracer

Certified Ford Tech
Headers wont help much with the restrictive exhaust behind it. Do you have emissions testing in your area? If not do what I did and cut that second inline cat off, rot out the insides of the other one, get an exhaust pipe adapter from 3" to 3.5" and get 3.5" custom pipe and a flowmaster muffler to match to wake that engine up! My 5.8 is a monster compared to the factory exhaust.

Add a K&N air filter

get a tune up with quality parts

FWIW never "flush" a trans but actually drain, remove pan for inspection, clean pan, change filter and refill properly. thats the basics

ponyracer

Certified Ford Tech
Yessir! sounds like it's due for all those great changeovers. Don't forget the timing belt, the cat, the tranny flush and change the air in the tires while you're at it~!

you forgot the ever important lubrication of the muffler bearings every 1k milessmiliegitrdone

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
you forgot the ever important lubrication of the muffler bearings every 1k milessmiliegitrdone
Don't forget to change the blinker fluid!

Hey Ryan, if and when you decide to get some longtubes... I bought some cheap Flowtechs for my truck (351w like yours). The weak link with buying the cheaper headers is that they come with a really crappy paint that burns off from heat withing a few weeks of usage, and then allows the headers to rust. I stripped the crappy paint, and repainted them with 1200* paint. These things should be solid as a rock now against rust, but after I did all this work I found out they're not smog legal in CA :headbang:. I bought them for around $150, then put about $50 worth of paint and materials into them, plus about 6 hours of good solid painting and stripping (and back aching). If you want a good solid set I'd be willing to let these guys go for around $150. They'll last much longer than they would with the factory paint on them. Here's pics:

DSC00785.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I've even got some quality Mr. Gasket copper gaskets that I could toss in for a small fee. I think I paid somethin' like $30 for the gaskets, I could toss them in for $10 or 15. Let me know if you're actually interested in eventually buying them, otherwise I need to get rid of these things. Here's what I've got:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BIG-12504FLT&N=700+0&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MRG-7161&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I guess I paid $165, not $150; totaling over $200 after shipping. I'd be willing to give you the whole package for $165 ;) Lemme know brother.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
if you find another buyer, definately go with them. It's low on my priority list. I have a huge dent to take care of at my expense apparently... security and insurance still hasn't contacted me.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sorry to hear that brother. Talk to Brian for advice if you wanna try to pop some of the dent yourself, he seems to be real good with that kinda stuff.

I plan on getting shorty headers, but was wondering what kind of things that should be the first step in letting this engine do better than it is stock. Bolt-on mods are good, because I don't have the convenience of being able to park the truck and work on it for a few weeks.

Ryan

Here is one for you, it works really good too.

Remove the power steering pump, air pump and put on an e-fan (yank the stock fan). Lots of free power there, not to mention much less clutter.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts