Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Engine Build with Spartan Diesel

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
The difference between a straight and helical cut gear strength in this application is a very moot point, its just turning the cam. The reason IH uses them is because that is the way they want the cam and crank to thrust actively. Under normal engine cricumstances that suits everyone just fine. Also with a straight cut gear you have less frictional loss, due to the teeth contact surface being smaller.

After getting some first hand experience with a truck experiencing multiple oil pump failures and doing some failure analysis; I have come to the conclusion that the entire issue is centered around excessive crankshaft front end runout due to excessive bearing clearance/wear on the mains. IMO, this issue has nothing to do with the Fluidampr and everything to do with the toll taken on engine bearings at 4000+ RPM and massive amounts of power and torque applied.

I'll soon post some pictures of the bearings recovered from last week's engine. The rod bearings were severely deformed from the 45+ psi of boost and ~4200 rpm shift points. This damage was inflicted on the truck in less than 15,000 miles and with less 70,000 on the truck itself.

We can't expect these engines to take 250+% duty cycles over original design output without wearing excessively quickly. It is still my opinion that the Fluidampr does more good than harm- I would damn nearly guarantee that the bearing fatigue and wear would only occur faster without the damper present, and the inevitable result of pump failure just as quickly. Upgraded bearings and rotating mass balancing is the only solution to the root issue; regardless of what is bolted to the front of the crank.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
All the more reason to check the web on the front throw of the crank, as it is obviously more important than the rear throw, oh wait, thats where your crank broke. :rofl: Mandrel time. Did you ever get one made yet?

I just figured would post the pics of my current accumulation of parts.... well, actually Matt's current accumulation of parts :rofl:) My Hypermax rods and the collection of FMC stuff LOL

Attachments

• hypermax rods, small1.JPG
  • part collection1.JPG

blacksnapon

Staff member
I just figured would post the pics of my current accumulation of parts.... well, actually Matt's current accumulation of parts :rofl:) My Hypermax rods and the collection of FMC stuff LOL
That thing will be a monster when its finished!

It will be a monster I can live with BdayBigGrin

The bottom end is as solid as I think it can be short of a billet crank... It should easily make the lifetime goal (I hope ;) )

I can hardly wait until it's on the road (only 6 months or so) :nana:

Oh I forgot to mention that the block is officially on it way to Darton for prep and liners :YelloThumbUp:

Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Oh I forgot to mention that the block is officially on it way to Darton for prep and liners :YelloThumbUp:
I heard that work was gonna cost more than expected!?! Something about a hole in the block??

BTW- I got a shiny new block for mine. :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts