Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F350 under 1941 International Mail Truck

Just joined this forum in hope of gaining knowledge from Ford experts. I recently placed a 2008 F350 under an International Mail Truck and am having problems getting it started. No doubt I did something wrong, it ran before I put it under there.
Not sure where to start.
I recently put a F350 chassis and drive chain under a 41 International Mail Truck. Everything has gone well with the swap till I tried to start it; the starter is not engaging. All fuses in both panels are good, and voltages to the started relay are good. It looks as though the PCM is not sending the signal to turn the starter relay on. I did put 12v directly to the starter and it does spin, but still does not start. I sprayed some engine start in the intake and did get a sputter out of the engine. The fuel pump also is not running; reset on the passenger side is good and the 12 v does go to the fuel module located at the back drivers side.
Not sure what is shutting this down as I am no expert on Ford trucks, I can only hope that someone with the expertise can help me out. Does the brake pedal need to be pressed to start the truck? Not exactly sure how this brake switch assembly works.
Only dash light is the seat belt light, no other lights lit.
Please help while I still have a few hairs left on my head.

Just joined this forum in hope of gaining knowledge from Ford experts. I recently placed a 2008 F350 under an International Mail Truck and am having problems getting it started. No doubt I did something wrong, it ran before I put it under there.
Not sure where to start.
I recently put a F350 chassis and drive chain under a 41 International Mail Truck. Everything has gone well with the swap till I tried to start it; the starter is not engaging. All fuses in both panels are good, and voltages to the started relay are good. It looks as though the PCM is not sending the signal to turn the starter relay on. I did put 12v directly to the starter and it does spin, but still does not start. I sprayed some engine start in the intake and did get a sputter out of the engine. The fuel pump also is not running; reset on the passenger side is good and the 12 v does go to the fuel module located at the back drivers side.
Not sure what is shutting this down as I am no expert on Ford trucks, I can only hope that someone with the expertise can help me out. Does the brake pedal need to be pressed to start the truck? Not exactly sure how this brake switch assembly works.
Only dash light is the seat belt light, no other lights lit.
Please help while I still have a few hairs left on my head.

Im no expert either!..Sense its newer style engine into old.
It could be a ground issue to the engine,body an chassy.
Just thought I would throw that out.
I dont know anything about engines that rely on a computer,
so just hang in there,an someone might give you some advice...:)
It sounds like an awsome project...YelloThumbUp

Thank You

All of the electronics including the harness were pulled from the donor F350 (2008) with the 6.8 triton engine. I did check to see that any grounds that were disconnected were re-grounded, and put an ohm meter between different areas of the truck to make sure nothing was isolated.
The PMU is mounted vertically in the engine compartment, did not think that would make a difference. I am hopeful someone with experience on the PMU can help walk me through some of these controls. So far from what I can see the PMU is not sending the proper signals to turn on the starter or fuel pump.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Did the donor truck have PATS keys? PATS runs through the instrument cluster as well as the pcm.

Donor did not have the pats system. I noticed the signal from the pcm that turns on the pcm relay in the junction box does not turn the relay on. This should be a low or Ground signal. Not sure how this sinal gets created. I put a jumper ground on it and I could hear relays turn on but the truck still will not start. I grounded the starter relay so the engine would spin but no start.

Ford Truck Articles