Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351C Parts

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So, I traded my '90 7.5 for a '72 5.8C today and I need to know what family the motor fits into. It came out of a '72 LTD Country Squire and I'm dropping it into a '70 F-100, main thing I'm looking for is ignition, pans, and headers.

Thanks,

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
that engine will be ok for a truck but it is better for a car. the cleveland and modified engines are in the same family. it is the 335 group and they can be fun to play with. the only thing is the cleveland has a smaller main cap size so torque issues can arise. other than that, if it is a 2wd truck, then everything should be ok, due to tons of aftermarket cleveland stuff.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
You kidding this truck had seen its day as a truck LONG ago, the most it'll be hauling anymore is my bike(s) and the occasional engine/transmission/axle... Seriously contemplating doing a bit of SCCA Solo 2 with it when I'm done...

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The Clevo was used with C4's
ACH du LIEBER!!

Depending on the application...

C4 - FMX - C6 = 351C 2V / C6 = 351C 4V (4 bolt mains)

4 Speed Ford toploader also available.

Flywheel or Flexplate = 164 teeth.

The 351W is a completely different engine.

351W = 6 valve cover bolts / fuel pump bolts at 3 & 9 o'clock / has a timing cover.

351C = 8 valve cover bolts / fuel pump bolts to the drivers side front corner of the block, the bolts are at 12 & 6 o'clock / No timing cover.

Sources: 1965/72 & 1973/79 Ford Car Parts Catalogs.

No 351C's in F Series trucks, E-vans or Bronco's / = Passenger Cars/Ranchero's only.

Who the hell is BKW?

NumberDummy on FTE.

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So the balance for the 351C flex plate is Cleveland specific?

And I know they only came in the cars, this one came out of a '72 LTD Country Squire Just felt it better placed under the hood of my '70 F-100...

also Dennis is correct (I can't believe I'm saying that :D) the Cleveland shares its bell housing pattern with the SBFs....

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
So the balance for the 351C flex plate is Cleveland specific? Thats not what I said...what I did say is typed below.

And I know they only came in the cars, this one came out of a '72 LTD Country Squire Just felt it better placed under the hood of my '70 F-100...

also Dennis is correct (I can't believe I'm saying that :D) the Cleveland shares its bell housing pattern with the SBFs....
Dennis said the 351C's only came with C4's...that is not correct.

351C 2V's could be had with a C4, FMX or C6 - it depended on the application.

ALL the 351C 4V's when equipped with auto's are C6's.

I can just imagine a 351C 4V 4 bolt main engine in a Mustang GT with a C4.

That C4 wouldn't last too long.

I'll research and type the flywheel/flexplate info and post it later today (Friday).

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I don't care what they came in front of, I've already got a trans to stuff behind it; however, it didn't have a flex plate and the places I've see group the C and the W together...

Kep4

Jäger
My Dad's 70 Mach 1 came with the 351 Cleveland 4V (four barrel carb) engine with closed chamber heads. It was backed with an FMX transmission. Delivered September 1970 to Fred Hauter Ford in Montrose, CA.

When I pulled the engine for a rebuild and 'massage' at Ed Pink Racing Engines in Van Nuys we found it had two bolt main caps. After the rebuild the FMX didn't last long and was replaced with a C-6, though I don't recall where the trans shop got it.

Since the Windsor and Cleveland 335 series are different in many respects I would think the flexplates are different.

Yours probably has 2V heads which is better for a street oriented Cleveland. The 2.19 inch intake valves of the 4V heads really needed high rpm (over 3K) to work and breathe.

Dennis said the 351C's only came with C4's...that is not correct

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Screeech

But Dennis never said that.

Dennis said quote:" The Clevo was used with C4's *I believe*, with the windsor block bolt pattern"

No where did it say what you said I said .....::)

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
My Dad's 70 Mach 1 came with the 351 Cleveland 4V (four barrel carb) engine with closed chamber heads. It was backed with an FMX transmission. Delivered September 1970 to Fred Hauter Ford in Montrose, CA.
A fellow SoCal chapter member arguing with me. What's the world comin' to? :rotz:

Uh...you are right of course...351C 4V's in 1970 came with FMX's, 1971/74's came with C6's.

I have the parts catalogs, so instead of going by a fading memory, I shoulda looked first. :(

My apologies Dennis...but.....you can't get around that 184 tooth reference!

Tis 164 teeth...I LOOKED!

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I don't care what they came in front of, I've already got a trans to stuff behind it; however, it didn't have a flex plate and the places I've see group the C and the W together...
C5AZ6375T > > replaced by > > E0AZ6375A .. Flexplate / 164 Teeth (not 184 teeth, Dennis!)

Fits: 1969/74 351W / 1970/74 351C 2V.

Fits: 351W's 1975 thru the 1980's

Still available from Ford.

EoAZ6375A .. MSRP: $81.34 / Discount price if you shop around: $65.40

That small o is there on porpoise...if you type the number into a friendly Ford dealers website (I can't mention the name here) like this: E0AZ, it'll say = No parts found.

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Now here's a question (two actually).

I've been looking for a flexplate online and I've been finding that they're listed (Summit as well as ebay) as 28oz/164tooth for 289 thru 351C... Is that accurate?

Also if that is correct, up to what year will work, I have an '85 302 sitting in the shop complete front to back and it came out of a Lincoln T/C, would save me some cash if that were the case...

Thanks,

Kep4

Jäger
They are internally balanced engines so it's very possible they interchange between Windsor and Cleveland. Wish I could tell you for sure.

Hey Bill, not disagreeing, just recalling what was on the ponycar I so foolishly sold many years back. :headbang:

They are internally balanced engines so it's very possible they interchange between Windsor and Cleveland. Wish I could tell you for sure.

Hey Bill, not disagreeing, just recalling what was on the ponycar I so foolishly sold many years back. :headbang:

They are not internally balanced motors.

The 351 W and C do share the 28oz inbalance as does the 302 up till '80.

After '80, the 302 went to a 50oz imbalance.

Ford Truck Articles