Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Im playing mechanic...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yup pretending to be Blacksnapon today... course im sure he would have had an easier time of this...

IMG-20150117-00385_zps076cd1ba.jpg

something fell outta my truck..

IMG-20150117-00386_zps2d24e510.jpg

IMG-20150117-00388_zps9f7917d7.jpg

guess them bolts were important...

lol jk was pulling it purposely.. had to change the ujoints... little did i know the fight that was about to ensue...

IMG-20150117-00389_zps83535382.jpg

first time ive ever had to use a cutting disk to get ujoints out...

IMG-20150117-00390_zps49836b08.jpg

ever wonder what the inside of your slipjoint looks like...

IMG-20150117-00391_zps8ce69c3b.jpg

ya know... when a 20 ton press struggles to remove ujoints.. it kinda says something about how much of a pita it can be...

IMG-20150117-00392_zps7aaf5306.jpg

1 more to go...

IMG-20150117-00393_zpsc8f995c3.jpg

6 hrs after starting.. i finally got all 3 out... essh

IMG-20150117-00400_zps408ca8bb.jpg

little primer to make it look pretty...

IMG-20150117-00402_zps791a99cb.jpg

itll be a different color tomorrow if it doesnt rain...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Those double cardan joints can make you speak in tongues.

sure did... was ticking me off... ntm didnt know there was a pivotal ball joint n the middle of it either... good thing i didnt destroy that in the process... dropped a couple of the needles out of it.. but got them back in where they belonged and packed it with a bunch of new grease to keep them from falling off..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Fun times huh?...paint looks good!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You need one of these Shawn :D

Press_018.JPG

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Fun times huh?...paint looks good!

itll be a different color tomorrow :) i hate the look of rust..

Last one I did there was no press, BFH all the way.

5 lb sledge was in the garage but was leery of using it... before i started using the cutting tool to notch the caps i was ready to give us and page you lol... but found a notch in the caps.. a big pry bar... and my little hammer to wack the pry bar with seemed to work good.. but they were still stiff in there...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
You need one of these Shawn :D

Press_018.JPG

that would have been nice for sure... biggest one i could find around here was 80 ton... but couldnt afford it... that 20 ton has come in handy a few times.. but i hate the notch spacings on it... thinking i need to take a drill to the side posts and make some more notches...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Too bad your 3 hrs away, you coulda brought it up here and used my shop.....
Nice job....

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Too bad your 3 hrs away, you coulda brought it up here and used my shop.....
Nice job....

3 hrs??? thought you were further... and mighta taken you up on the offer... once i get it painted color i still gotta get the new ones in.. hopefully therye not as much of a problem to get them in...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hint.......if you use a torch and heat the caps and/or the cross, the grease in there heats up and will "blow" the caps off.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
3 hrs??? thought you were further... and mighta taken you up on the offer... once i get it painted color i still gotta get the new ones in.. hopefully therye not as much of a problem to get them in...
They squeeze back in real easy. I use a vice and a big pipe, and deep sockets. Research Md chapter back about 2009 in the "other site" I quit posting on, I posted a how too with pictures.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Hint.......if you use a torch and heat the caps and/or the cross, the grease in there heats up and will "blow" the caps off.

ROFLMAO!!!! did that... they just burbled.. did nothing... sprayed em with wd40... then roasted it... they just laughed at me... that press was banging and clanging every time the cap would break loose and get stuck again...

IMG-20150117-00403_zpsc665e62c.jpg

didnt feel when that happened... but assuming it was when the blocks slipped out and everything went flying from the 20 ton press...

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
They squeeze back in real easy. I use a vice and a big pipe, and deep sockets. Research Md chapter back about 2009 in the "other site" I quit posting on, I posted a how too with pictures.

my vice doesnt open wide enough... my s10's shaft was smaller and couldnt even fit it in there... that one i partially did with ball joint press... breaker bar... and 4 foot pipe on the breaker bar... somehow i think i would have needed a 10 foot one for this ones...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
my vice doesnt open wide enough... my s10's shaft was smaller and couldnt even fit it in there... that one i partially did with ball joint press... breaker bar... and 4 foot pipe on the breaker bar... somehow i think i would have needed a 10 foot one for this ones...
I have 2 big vices for sale come spring from the other shop I sold.
I'll let you know BEFORE I take them to the flea market. let me know what else your lacking. The more I sell, the less I have to move to NC

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
ROFLMAO!!!! did that... they just burbled.. did nothing... sprayed em with wd40... then roasted it... they just laughed at me... that press was banging and clanging every time the cap would break loose and get stuck again...

IMG-20150117-00403_zpsc665e62c.jpg

didnt feel when that happened... but assuming it was when the blocks slipped out and everything went flying from the 20 ton press...

Tapping on the side of the joint applys shock while you are putting pressure with the press. They usually break loose a little easier.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I have 2 big vices for sale come spring from the other shop I sold.
I'll let you know BEFORE I take them to the flea market. let me know what else your lacking. The more I sell, the less I have to move to NC

does that mean id get free delivery as you drive by?? lol id prolly have a free forall in that shop looking for things lol

Tapping on the side of the joint applys shock while you are putting pressure with the press. They usually break loose a little easier.

didnt think of doing that... when i was trying to cut the slits to put the prybars in they wouldnt even turn... which i tried a pipe wrench before that to twist them.. was surprised how tight they were...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
IMG-20150118-00405_zps6c99dd1f.jpg

IMG-20150118-00406_zps4d519b61.jpg

Lil dually said she wanted hot pink... i said no.... not going to happen... So went with the closest i could get to ford blue... Iris blue...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ty.. i like that paint will stop it from rusting more.. and also protects it... one thing people dont think about with the drivetrain is the driveshaft... over time the rust falls off.. and can lead to an unbalance shaft... why you sometimes have to get them rebalanced.. other reason being the weight falls off...

plus in the process i discovered that some point in the past someone set that shaft down on something harder than the shaft was... near where the cardian joint was theres a pretty good dent in the side of the pipe... least enough to make a flat point in the shaft... wondering what they did to get the dent there...

Ford Truck Articles