Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'69 390

Hi,

I actually have a '87 250 but need advice on a '69 390 which is in a LTD. t's been siiting awhile and I think the rings are stuck cause it burns blue. The smoke doesn't disappear after running for a few minutes so I don't think it's the valves. I was going to try a product called "Restore". Ha sany one tried this? Comments? it's supposed to free up the rings. Any other advice for a "simple fix" appreciated.

Lawrence

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I tired it...I don't think it worked. I didn't notice any difference at all, it was a waste of $9.99 plus tax as far as I'm concerned. Only thing I've found that helps is thicker oil, some lucas and some smoke away. Other than that...it's time for a rebuild.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I would rebuild it on the cheap if ya can. My 390 burns so much oil no matter what I put in there it still burns it. It sounds like ya might have a couple broken rings. A cheap rebuild could be under 1000 bucks dependin on how much the cylinders need to get bored and what the crank looks like.

Don't give up yet!

Have you checked the line that comes from the transmission modulator to the back of the intake manifold? A 390 in 69 should be hooked to a C6 trans, and when they sit the diaphram in the modulator gets hard. When you fire it up and drive they will suck ATF through the modulator and right into the intake! Pull the hose off at either end and see if you've got fluid in the line. I've "cured" a couple smokers that sat too long by replacing a modulator. If thats your problem,have it put in by someone that knows C6's because there in a calibration proceedure involved. If you just stick one in it probably won't shift right.

Good idea about the tranny. I just doesn't seem right that with only about 140000 miles and no smoking when parked a few years back that all of a sudden it smokes like a frenchman. I'm still going to try the "Restore" product. it was my dad's last car ordered from the factory and came with the trailer towing package. Needs a little rust repair, drivers seat cover. Bought a dash repair cover and would like to restore as a tribute to my dad. I have a good friend who has a tranny shop so I'll have him check the modulator.

Lawrence

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
plan and simple restore sux! run some marvel mysteryoil threw it and if that dont work a rering or rebiuld will be needed

Fellro

Staff member
A compression test will tell a lot. I had one rub a piston wrist pin into the cylinder wall, leaving a deep groove in the cylinder. It could be stick ring, something like Sea Foam in the oil could help free them as well...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts