Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My rebuild thread w/ lots of pictures

Hi all - Pretty new to the site and haven't posted much, so I thought I would show off what I have been working with. Mods, if there are too many pictures I can edit my post and remove some and put them in a summary or link to them.

I started with a '75 F250 farm truck with a knock in the bottom end, and upon pulling the pan found a couple of bearings that were out of spec. So I pulled it, dismantled it and sent to to the machine shop. As the pics go I will explain each step:

If you are on dial up then go make some popcorn :)

This is what I started with:

IMG_2847.jpg

Pulled the front clip to get some room for the cherry picker and make it easier to unhook everything:

IMG_2945.jpg

Radiator and support with AC setup:

IMG_2944.jpg

Motor mount removal:

IMG_2947.jpg

Up and out!

IMG_2956.jpg

Clutch reference picture:

IMG_2959.jpg

Getting it on the stand:

IMG_3011.jpg

Pretty much torn down and looking at the bottom end - it went fast:

IMG_3012.jpg

Yup...:

IMG_3014.jpg

Mains and rods off and looking at the crank. Some scoring, but not too bad. People, remember to change your oil!

IMG_3018.jpg

Casting #'s...:

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

Filthy pistons and rods:

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

Crank is out (yes I know it's on it's side):

IMG_3026.jpg

Ok, so block, crank, rods and pistons went to the machine shop. Everything was tanked and cleaned up, new cam bearings installed and new freeze plugs. The block was deglazed, but not bored over and rods were resized .10 over. Crank is .10 over, and was a swap with the shop. All the needed parts were ordered: New cam (stock), lifters, oil pump, main and rod bearings, master kit basically. Cost was around $800 for all the work and parts.

Before I started I washed the block out and then gave it a protective coat of Old Ford Blue:

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

I have more progress, but I will post up some more later if anyone is interested - I'll figure that out by the number of replies. Thanks!

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I think grabber green is the engine color of Ftf trucks. If you could just make that happen it would be much appreciated

Just kiddin man. I wish I had skills like that. Ive got two left hands. Which sucks cause right handed.

Definetly keep us posted on your progress.

I agree i want more I love seeing rebuild threads as well...bring on the pics!

Ok guys sorry for the delay - I have way more progress, and these are old pics. But this should bring you all up to speed to where it is sitting today:

Continue:

Just before the cam install:

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

And it's in!

IMG_3039.jpg

New mains:

IMG_3041.jpg

One edge in and ready to seat:

IMG_3042.jpg

All in...and notice the center main (yes it's in the CENTER! lol):

IMG_3047.jpg

Lubage:

IMG_3048.jpg

Crank installed and mains sitting:

IMG_3051.jpg

New rings being installed:

IMG_3054.jpg

Filthy rockers:

IMG_3058.jpg

Rockers (one side) disassembled and cleaned up in the parts cleaner:

IMG_3060.jpg

Rockers are back together (the other side was done too):

IMG_3061.jpg

Oil pan cleaned and a fresh coat of paint:

IMG_3062.jpg

You can see the crank and cam at 12 o'clock - ready for the new timing set:

IMG_3063.jpg

Set:

IMG_3064.jpg

Fuel pump eccentric and oil slinger back on:

IMG_3065.jpg

Oil pump and pickup - getting ready to install the new pump and cleanup the pickup:

IMG_3066.jpg

Ok, so that's all for now. I will update with more progress in a few days - thanks for looking and following along!

Want MOAR??! Here's some:

Installed the timing cover with a new seal, and damper spacer. I ended up having to speedy sleeve the spacer because it had a groove worn in it. I used a small amount of JB Weld to fill the groove and tamped the sleeve in place - it worked pretty well and I didn't have to get a new spacer.

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

I also got the heads on and torqued to spec:

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

Here's a pic of the bottom end before the pan goes on:

IMG_2549.jpg

And I got the oil pump, shaft and pickup installed:

IMG_2554.jpg

Well, really only partially. I decided to pull the pickup and let it soak in the tank for awhile. I reused my pickup but replaced the pump shaft.

And yes, I did get the oil pickup bolts in there :)

Got the oil pan on and sealed up:

IMG_3067.jpg

Painted the rest of the parts - intake, etc.

IMG_3068.jpg

Picked up some mic. parts plus got some new valve covers and air cleaner. Also picked up some break in oil, oil and water sensors, new push rods etc:

IMG_3069.jpg

Primed the new lifters by soaking and priming them with an old pushrod:

IMG_3070.jpg

Lifters installed!

Used a Crane Cam lube on the flat end and coated the lobes with it as well:

IMG_3072.jpg

Installed gaskets and valley pan:

Edit - I actually did this twice. Because I noticed my rear left drain back hole draining slowly I pulled the intake off again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Looked fine and I think it was getting backed up on the valley pan and the oil is cold so it should be fine when I run the motor.

IMG_3075.jpg

The intake went on after all that - torqued all the bolts to spec:

IMG_3076.jpg

Installed fuel pump, oil filter housing and water pump. Gave the pulley a fresh coat of paint:

IMG_3081.jpg

Also installed the thermostat housing and dizzy:

IMG_3083.jpg

And had some help cleaning up for the night. Yes, he loves fruit punch!

IMG_3084.jpg

I ended up buying a new dizzy and using my old one to test and prime my oil pump.

Ok, so you want even MORE? HERE it IS!

Classic Ford Red stock headers with stainless steel hardware:

IMG_3091.jpg

Here it is with valve covers on, all brackets attached, headers on with all new hardware...well the rest is there:

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

Wires and plugs on, coil attached and ready for the final parts.

IMG_3097.jpg

I picked up a new alternator, and wired the H20 and oil pressure sensors with new pickups. That's about it - this weekend I am going to try to get it back into the truck and fire it up!

Edit - also picked up a new (reman) clutch set and had my flywheel resurfaced!

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
wow that engine has come a looong way since the beginning! that looks real sharp!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Looks good man, love to see a running video.

Ford Truck Articles