Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Issues from sitting.

Well I'm pulling out my grandpa's old.. it has a bad starter solenoid and I replaced it.. however I think I did it wrong?.
Anyways I got a battery out of the old Cummins and out in the Ford for the time being so I can get the Ford running. When I turn the key, the truck doesn't turn over.. everything just dies.. when it doesn't just die, u can hear hear something grinding like the starter.. then the new solenoid Sparks and gets hot.. so any ideas guys. Truck is a 1980 F100 custom 3sp 4.9 carb.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds like possibly a real bad connection....did you connect everything the way it came off?
Start wih checking all of the cables and connections.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Post some pics of the connections at the solenoid if you can please.

Needs my truck battery back in it I had to use it
0729c73500d271773c1ed7ce60af23d5.jpg
a4dcfc8a82e7f368485cf63e42ea0d9a.jpg
f2ae8e5c1d3afd988b2f38811605be86.jpg
688e741299c0573502f3624912c1adf1.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Those connections on the solenoid and on the cables look pretty suspect..also why are there no wires on the coil connection of the solenoid?

There's is a red wire that used to be connected at one of the prongs . Can't remember which one. My plan is to change the red positive battery connection.. do.u know where I can buy new wiring? Plug and play?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You can get new cables at any auto store, just take the old one with you.

Yeah I figured that. What about the solenoid ones? I'm sure they are okay.. that's a new solenoid.. I did have another battery in it. Starters groans.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you mean the small ones going to the studs, have a look at where the wire goes into the connector...if it is secure and uncorroded just take a small wire brush (I like brass) and clean the ring. Also do the same for the studs on the solenoid.

If the ends are pooched you can put new terminals on the wires, do yourself a favor and use a proper crimping tool and some heatshrink with sealant.

I will definitely be doing that. Stay around on this post. You may come in handy haha.. I just don't know why the starter groaned. Almost like it was hung up or something.. thought bout taking the starter out just to make sure it's okay. Truck hasn't really been driving in like 6 years. I used to drive it as a daily. Then I got another vehicle and stopped driving it. Then one day I went outside the battery was dead. Bought new battery and I used to tap on the solenoid to get it to start... Bought new solenoid and now has this issue . Like I said tho. Say for a while.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Np and then that will narrow it down to cables/connections.

Ford Truck Articles