Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

first time with a carb

Hi everyone, (first time on this forum so sorry for the story)

i am not sure what i did. I have a 1984 f150 xlt 4x4 with a 5.0l 2bbl carb.
Im not sure if this is factory or not but it is installed carb on top of nylon spacer, on top of metal spacer(goes to egr stuff) on top of manifold. I went to autozone to buy new gaskets because they were bad. I was told that there is supposed to be only 1 spacer, so i got 2 gaskets and i didnt need the nylon spacer. So i installed the carb to metal spacer to manifold with the 2 gaskets. i pluged in all the previous vaccum lines and fuel line. i started to crank nd nothing happend so i sprayed some quick start and it fired right up and cut off. so i put some more quick start nd it back fired and had flames coming out of it. I noticed the automatic choke had a wire plugged into it but it was broken. the carb keeps doing this no matter what.

Do i need a new carb? if so what make? holley seems to be the most popular but im not sure what i should look for or how much it should be.

Is this happening because of the spacer or choke?
can i fix what i have?

PS im not gettin fuel to the fuel filter even with a new pump so i am tracing the fuel lines/hoses.

THANKS TO EVERYONE

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Welcome to FTF.

First step in figuring it out will be to find out why you aren't getting any fuel up to it. It could be something as minute as a crack in a fuel line allowing the pump to suck air instead of fuel. A clogged sending unit is possible also. Just keep doing like you are, following the lines. You'll find the problem.

Once you get fuel to the carb, you may find that the problem is solved. Let us know how it goes and we'll be able to help you through.

well b4 i changed the gaskets, removed the spacer and broke the choke. a little quick start and ran great but i was told it wasnt starting cuz of the gasket leak.
so after new gaskets all i get is backfiring but im definitly looking for the leak in fuel. thanks

Ford Truck Articles