Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB Radio Mounted and Wired!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Trista, my super awesome girlriend, got me a Cobra 29 NW LTD Classic CB radio for my birthday.

http://www.cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=319&category_ID=30

Just finished getting it mounted and wired. Still waiting for the antenna in the mail (Wilson 1000). It's coming with a mag mount and I have to wait and see if it'll fit between the ridges on the roof of my truck, otherwise you guys will need to help me brainstorm a good spot for it. I was thinking of maybe mounting it on a bracket between the cab and the bed, then letting it sit about an inch out the side of the truck smilieeatndrink

Anywho... PICS!

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01870.jpg

I'll try to remember to grab a few more pics after it gets dark out, so I can show off the NightWatch :)

Looking good Chris, awesome. That radio is very cool. :)

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Rule number 1, don't turn on or key a CB without the antenna attached! :slap:

Looks like you found a good place to mount it though! I'm sure you can't wait to try it out... I know I couldn't once I got mine installed, and just like you, I had to wait a couple of days for an antenna...smiliegitrdone

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Lookin good redneck. Just throw a couple whips up on the mirrors and you'll be full-on redneck!

Cool present though. Your off road buddies have them? bet that would make offroading more fun to be able to talk back and forth.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Nice...wish I'd had the space to hang mine under the dash like that. Overhead mount is cool, but it was a [bleep] to get it up there and it darn near killed me to cut the headliner. (I know you're the same way.)

I can measure the magnet on a W1000 if you want, to get a headstart on thinking about where to put it... Did you go with the short-load for that antenna, or the 62" whip?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I dont know much about CB radios...

How come you cant turn it on?

You can turn it on, but you can't key it up...so it's generally better not to turn it on, 'cause then you can't key it up.

You can fry...something...if it tries to send the power out to the antenna but there's nowhere for that energy to go. Not a real technical explanation, I know...but it's the best I got.

You can turn it on, but you can't key it up...so it's generally better not to turn it on, 'cause then you can't key it up.

You can fry...something...if it tries to send the power out to the antenna but there's nowhere for that energy to go. Not a real technical explanation, I know...but it's the best I got.

Interesting. Thanks. :)

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I dont know much about CB radios...

How come you cant turn it on?

Not 100% sure, but I have been told it will fry them, somthing about the current running through them I suppose...

Everywhere I have read, they say not to turn them on though..

http://www.wearecb.com/support/install_radio.htm

Remember never to turn on the radio and especially DO NOT KEY A CB MICROPHONE WITHOUT THE ANTENNA CONNECTED. It will burn out the final and/or protection diode in the radio.

EDIT: got beat to it... lol

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Rule number 1, don't turn on or key a CB without the antenna attached!
I'm the kinda guy that reads the manual for a new PEN before I even use it :rofl: So yeah I read the manual for this thing yesterday-- it warned me not to key up without an antenna so I assure you that I did not ;) Thanks for the warning.

Cool present though. Your off road buddies have them? bet that would make offroading more fun to be able to talk back and forth.
Yessir-- that's why I suddenly wanted to get one. Luckily Rick had an extra one when we went on the snow trip because I was literally the ONLY one who didn't have it. Made for a lot more fun, but more importantly it helped a lot to communicate when people got stuck, needed help, wanted to pass, etc etc.

I can measure the magnet on a W1000 if you want, to get a headstart on thinking about where to put it... Did you go with the short-load for that antenna, or the 62" whip?
It's a 62" base loaded whip. Would be awesome if you could give me the diameter on that mag mount. Rick's was pretty big and didn't fit between the ridges but from the pictures I've seen, the newer mag mount for the 1000 is smaller. Hard to tell from pics though.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Just to add to this- the W1000 antenna has a removable coil. So if I need extra clearance and take it off, I always flip my radio to PA. That way, even if I totally forget about taking the antenna off, turn it on AND key it up, it's still OK.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey Ian, on that note... I was thinking of going down and grabbing a cheap PA just so I could play with the radio until the antenna comes. If there is no antenna attached, in PA mode, and you key up... The signal goes straight to the speaker and doesn't get transmitted over the CB? As in-- no damage done if I key up the PA with no antenna attached?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'm the kinda guy that reads the manual for a new PEN before I even use it :rofl: So yeah I read the manual for this thing yesterday-- it warned me not to key up with an antenna so I assure you that I did not ;) Thanks for the warning.

10-4! Just didn't wanna see your ruin your new toy! smiliegitrdone

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
if i might ask what do u use a Cb for?

ohhh nevermind.. i see it now...

to cummunicate with buddies when offroading and stuff.. cool!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's a 62" base loaded whip. Would be awesome if you could give me the diameter on that mag mount. Rick's was pretty big and didn't fit between the ridges but from the pictures I've seen, the newer mag mount for the 1000 is smaller. Hard to tell from pics though.

I make it just a hair under 5" in diameter. Looks closer to 4.5" in the pic, but when I was standing out there I thought 5...I'm gonna go remeasure. This antenna is a little under a year old.

The 62" whip is supposed to be easier to tune than the short load (39" I believe) that I've got...you probably know this, too, but you'll be better off buying an SWR meter (the Radio Shack model I have is supposed to be decent for a low-budget one- about $40 a couple years back, I think) than using the one built into the radio for tuning your antenna.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Hey Ian, on that note... I was thinking of going down and grabbing a cheap PA just so I could play with the radio until the antenna comes. If there is no antenna attached, in PA mode, and you key up... The signal goes straight to the speaker and doesn't get transmitted over the CB? As in-- no damage done if I key up the PA with no antenna attached?

I would think you could do that... "cheap" PA around here is $40-$50 though.

Maybe run to Wally World and get a $10 antenna like I did? (I plan on using that fulltime though)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'll be using it for when I go on 4-wheeling trips with the UC4x4 guys (the snow trip guys) and also just for screwin' around with my brother on his CB... Or asking truckers for traffic/weather conditions on the highway up ahead.

Also if I ever somehow get stranded out in the middle of nowhere like the asian dude from Cnet-- no cell reception? No problem.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts