Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 302 to 2wd 460 hotrod!!!!

basically i have a 92 f150 4x4 that i screwed up the motor in. (explorer is my dd) so i was thinkin y not sell the motor tranny drivetrain and swap in a 2wd front end and a carbed cammed 460? i think it would be pretty dope but how hard would it be? will a 2wd fron end just bolt right in? and are the holes for the 460 motor mounts already there??? i mean i know my way around a motor decently well but i need some help with this one guys. thanks!!!smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
It'll be some work. Don't really think anything will bolt right in. It shouldn't be terribly hard. Might be alot less of a headache if you just find a 2wd chassis

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I concur. Its totally possible. The 2wd front end wont be an exact bolt in but could be done with some fab...

You also would need new motor mounts for the 460 and a new transmission, as the bell housings and the bolt pattern are different on the 460 and 302...

also depending on how much power you build for your trans will need to be rebuilt and beefed up to handle the power, at the very least an l.s. in the rear end if not a locker and again depending on how much power your making a built rear axle or and possibly having to swap to a different axle...

Again depending on how much power you build for, some rear suspension work would be very wise...

You could swap in a stock or refreshed 460 and a trans in and likely be just fine, but i would still hunt for an l.s. rear end or put a locker in it, so your not stuck with all that power going to one wheel...

As for building a 460 for power, the real question is. What are you looking for and how big is your wallet?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Pivot points under motor r the same I put F150 4x4 front in a F350 2wd once.

And help make a 2wd drag racing Bronco . Spring bucket may be different . But if have parts go for it .

basically all i wanna do is find the easiest way without getting a 2wd chassis. i am stuck with what i got. i have kicked around the idea of leaving it 4wd with just throwin in a 460bbf and a matching c6 or somthing some and some 31"s. and with a 460 all i wanna do with it is tear it down, all new gaskets, belts, timing chain, medium cam, 4bbl carb. thats really about it. nothing to huge just enough power to have fun with (fast)

Ford Truck Articles