Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB Radio Mounted and Wired!

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I just read on a couple sites that people use 17 for north/south highways and 19 for east/west highways.

Thoughts?

Well when I was out west I was traveling North/South which most of my stops were in in Cali along the coast.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well when I was out west I was traveling North/South which most of my stops were in in Cali along the coast.
So then you think it may be correct that 17 = north/south and 19 = east/west?

If that's the case-- the nearest big highway is east/west (I-80) and so 19 would have been the channel I shoulda been monitoring from my driveway.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well it appears that my antenna works after all!! Yes I had my doubts because yesterday I wasn't picking up ANYBODY on any channel... It must have been the cloudy skies or something cuz today I was picking up some bad transmissions on MOST channels, and some real clear transmissions on 1 or 2 channels. I tried to get out to them but they never confirmed my radio check, so I'm assuming they're running real powerful home stations out of Sac (one of them mentioned Sacramento). Pretty funny guys-- sounded like hicks (real hicks, no fake ones). One guy was rambling on about "love potion" for like 10 minutes... His transmissions were 1+ minutes long and he seldom took a breath :rofl: Didn't know people like that lived around here.

Anyway, that was sittin' in my driveway that I was able to pickup those transmissions. Can't wait to get out on the highway :)

Oh and also!! I checked my SWR on the mid channels like 17 and 19... Damn near 1.1 according to the [inaccurate] meter built into my radio (as opposed to ch 40 where I was gettin about 1.4 swr). I checked the accuracy of that meter yesterday with the Radio Shack meter that I've got here, and it's pretty damned accurate. Maybe not spot on, but never more than .1 or .2 off from the good meter.

Side note: the ANL (automatic noise limiter) and NB (noise blanker) on this radio work great! As soon as I started my truck I started getting a ticking noise through the CB speaker (I half expected this because I've got the radio negative wired to the battery post)-- flipped the switch for ANL and it disappeared, while the hick-transmission still came in loud and clear.

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yeah channel 19 we use out here for truckers. and channel 9 is EMERGENCY ONLY

glad to hear the antenna works great! when i get my cab's rust issue fixed this weekend im going to be rewiring EVERYTHING! my sound system, cb, and PA system so its all hidden and done very nicely

Ford Truck Articles