Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

air box questions

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So I finally got the '93 running again, emissions legal as well, right now the air box is out so I can clean the mud and crap out of the engine bay.

My question is does the box play any part in the engine's operation?

Michigan
?????? Supports the filter so it clean air lol.

I don't quite understand the question.

Are you talking about the box that houses the filter, all the plumbing betrween the TB and where the air enters the system or what.

With MAS you need a plumbing system from the MAS sensor housing to the TB and it must be intact and without leaks. You don't NEED to enclose the filter and plumb it to grab cold air but it is recommended. Heck, you don't even need the filter, but that is recommended as well.

With SD you can do away with the entire plumbing set up and just run with a bare TB - it's not recomended though. You could run with a filter that is not enclosed in anyway, thats a bad idea too though.

Michigan
haha i was stating the obvious cuz i didnt understand the question either. Sorry. Just run open throttle bodys and see if it runs like crap. Theres nothing between the grill- throttle bodies on my sd system that i think would make it run bad or different.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
The truck is idling pretty high right now, does the air box play a part in where the engine normally idles???

Mike, its running great, smooth idle no hesitations at WOT through all four gears, just idling through the roof from normal...

Last edited:
If it is SD then everything between the air horn and the TB makes no difference to the idle.

If mass air flow then a leak between the mass air flow sensor housing and the TB could cause an idle issue (among other issues), but not a high idle.

If SD, then look into the possibility of a vacuum leak, stuck open throttle body, or a throttle body out of adjustment.

If mass air flow, then I can't think of anything beyond a stuck open throttle or a throttle body that is out of adjustment that would cause a high idle.

Michigan
I say clean TB and then check for vacuum leaks

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Also, I'm sorry my questions are so confusing, I'm running a hundred different directions right now and my brain is going double that so I'm trying to be as clear as possible...

Thanks for bearing with me through all the jumbled words...

MAF has the sensor on the air box correct?

Not always

See if there is a mass air flow housing in line with the air filter housing. If there are 2 tubes coming from the TB and 2 tubes that connect to the air filter housing (no MAS housing) then it's SD.

Michigan
No problem, if it has two tubes going straight to the air box then SD, MAF if it has two tubes going to one large tube to the air box with the air meter and wiring on there.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
There were no 93 with maf (94 up 302 96 300-6 ) .. AT least for most of USA. California may have had it .

The stock system helps get cool air from outside into engine. The aftermarket systems Do flow better but unless u build a box to channel outside air its not a big Improvement . At least all ones I tried . If u have no air filter on it . It will be getting more air and will throw off setting some.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Well hell, took it for a quick spin before I left Thursday evening, and it all seems to be more gooder, no high idle, no smell, no slip, and the oh so sweet sound of emissions compliant exhaust...

Michigan
is that a good thing or a bad thing lmao Did it fix itself?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts