Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thoughts please

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So I'm getting ready to finish up the body work on the '97 and start the paint prep.

Now, I really have a love for bump sides and got to thinking; retro paint scheme.

This paint scheme:
DSCF3100.JPG

On this body style truck:
38455350001_large.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Personal taste, but I don't really care for the white (or yellow) coming all the way down the side of the body on anything newer than a bumpside. The guy that painted my truck suggested I did that with Red (was still a bumpside tutone scheme) and I damn near took my truck home with me.

Those colors are fine, but follow the bottom body line with the green to break up the monotony.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree with Ben on the bottom rocker.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I don't like red and white, but it's not my truck.

As to the style of two-tone... not sure how I feel about not having a "bottom stripe". I really like the way the roof/doors/back of cab are done in the older style shown in your first post, but I question how the body lines of the newer truck would work with it.

It's something I've thought about before...that crease running down the side of the body is the natural place to switch colors, but then it looks goofy unless you paint the top of the bed that color, too. Maybe breaking it at the top of bed with a good thick pinstripe could work, but I'm not sure.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I would also separate the colors "as if" there were racetrack chrome to separate the colors. Might be hard to do on a bump though.

Ford Truck Articles