Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

swap question

Fellro

Staff member
It will bolt in the same spot without any conversion necessary, but the computer may not be too happy. Since they have all the same sensors and setup, it is potentially possible the computer will adapt. Best would be to have a windsor stick computer, but I have had some success just running with what is there, but that isn't always the case. haven't actually tried it with a Ford yet. Not sure how adaptable the computer will be for this application. Main headache I see is fuel metering, which realistically should adjust, I don't think the timing and fuel maps should be that different between the two. Be sure he takes the pilot bearing out as well, it will hit the center hub of the converter and cause trouble getting the trans to pull up to the motor.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
will need a new computer for a 5.8 and stick.. otherwise it will run lean... the 351 needs more fuel than the 5.0 computer can adjust to give.... had that issue with the Flareside when i first got it.. it had the original 5.0 ECU, and it was running lean, researched some, got a 351W computer, and cleared all the issues up...

Fellro

Staff member
See, that's the thing, I have been told that before, but yet have seen where it works fine, because in the end, it is all about injector pulse width and O2 readings. Of course, I have been told you can't do a lot of things, yet I have done them. I agree, best is to have the proper computer to be sure, but I have seen bigger motors in place of smaller motors of similar version work just fine. I have also seen where swapping computers brought in a whole host of new issues that I never would have expected. You would think that it would be as simple as plugging in, but for some reason, I have encountered issues with incompatibility when changing out from the prom that came with the vehicles, and that was OBD I vehicles. Try it on an OBD II and it really gets hairy changing out computers.

When you get down to the basics, the computer itself does nothing more that trigger the injector on to allow a certain amount of fuel out based on what the O2 sensor readings call for, as well as what the other sensors tell it is going on for load and user demands. Since the injectors are spec'd for the 351, they will deliver the fuel at a rate sufficient to fuel it. If it were to run lean, it would be more due to a pump not being able to supply adequate pressure, or the trigger time on the injectors being too short. There is factory set parameters for the pulse time, true, but that is based on the injectors flow rating, but still has to be able to keep the O2 readings proper. That is where block learn comes into play, the computer will actually "learn" how the engine responds, and sets the expected signals to be the norm. Now if they were to swap the 302 injectors into the 351, I would expect more trouble. It would be an interesting experiment for sure. Now if it was a 460 going in, I wouldn't consider it without having the right computer, because things are very different.

Fellro

Staff member
When you consider that the change in engine size is only .8 liter, which is only a 14% change, it isn't that much of a difference really. As I said before though, it would just trigger the injectors to stay on that little bit more. We aren't talking much, as it is in milliseconds at most.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The 351 will run on the 302 ecu . Do it all time on MAf swaps . Which the bronco may be . The newer is sequential and will have different wiring . But the 302 will fit on it . Swap whole harness (or pin) from ecu out and get a manual ecu or leave the auto trans MPLS sensor in neutral.

Flywheel diffs if keeping manual (which I would ) But driveshafts r going to be different length and harness change will need done .

Fellro

Staff member
If I am reading it right, the motor is the only intended swap, from the Bronc into the truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts