Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 78 f250 flatbed

Hello all. I just purchased this truck. $2300. I am going to turn it into a welding rig. It is currently in the garage and I am about to paint it black.
It has the 460 and I havent looked hard enough to see what the tranny is. 4 speed standard.

Something kinda strange. The oil filter for a 460 wont thread on, fram ph8a. The one on it is a stp spin on that is listed with the fram. Why? Mabey its not a 460?

I have a question about the transfer case.

4 high to 2 high to N is very close together as far as shifting almost tricky. It wont go into 4 low. almost like the lever is too far forward to engage it. Any ideas. Is there a trick to get it into 4 low like backing, coasting ect. Should it go in smooth and only when Its stopped.

Thanks.

Attachments

• red ford - Copy.jpg

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Wow thats a awesome truck :D i'd hit that.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
For it to go in 4 low ya have to be stopped. Ya might have to let it roll a few inches to line up the gears but it should go right in. From 2 hi to 4hi you can shift it while your drivin just put the clutch in when ya do it same with goin from 4 hi to 2 hi.

Hello all. I just purchased this truck. $2300. I am going to turn it into a welding rig. It is currently in the garage and I am about to paint it black.
It has the 460 and I havent looked hard enough to see what the tranny is. 4 speed standard.

Something kinda strange. The oil filter for a 460 wont thread on, fram ph8a. The one on it is a stp spin on that is listed with the fram. Why? Mabey its not a 460?

I have a question about the transfer case.

4 high to 2 high to N is very close together as far as shifting almost tricky. It wont go into 4 low. almost like the lever is too far forward to engage it. Any ideas. Is there a trick to get it into 4 low like backing, coasting ect. Should it go in smooth and only when Its stopped.

Thanks.

PH8A fits about 99% of all Fords prior to 79 and for the most part about 80% of Ford s newer than that. Check the threads on the Fram filter, maybe messed up.

If it doesn't go into Low range you probably have rust and other junk built up on the shifter linkage at the T-case. Complete stop for going to Low range.

From 2 hi to 4hi you can shift it while your drivin just put the clutch in when ya do it same with goin from 4 hi to 2 hi.

If the front hubs are locked in there is no need to put the clutch in. The front axle is already turning at the correct speed to engage 4wd. If the hubs are not locked in then you could cause T-case damage trying to put it into 4H while moving.

There is also no need to depress the clutch when going from 4H to 2H.

As far as the grille, 77 frame, 78 body with a 77 front clip. No big deal, sharp truck.

Take a picture of the engine for me

Ford never put a 460 M/T until 1983.

I suspect it has a GM engine in it

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
NooOOooOooOoo what kinda sick bastard would put a chuby paper weight in a Ford..

find who did it and kill them with fire.

No 360 in 1978

The PH8 fits the 360 no problem

But then again, he is taking a chance putting a Fram filter on it.

He needs a Motorcraft CFL-1 or an FL1 instead

I always use these yellow ones I heard were better than Fram but I forget the name right now

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I use Napa filters for mine and never have a problem. Frams always get stuck on there and I end up destroyin the old filter and gettin oil everywhere. I havent used a motorcraft or a wix yet but Im gonna try em both and see how they work.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I have to ask, why paint it?! It looks great as is.

Check your linkage like was said before. Clean and lube it. If your truck is a conglomeration of years, check the hole in the floorboard and make sure the lever is not hitting it. I think you just got a messed up filter also.

Wow. Eithor way the truck is in great shape. I am a big fan of black vehicles. The interior is black and grey, so that works. Also I mixed red flake with the black for a nice look in the sun. I just love these trucks. This is believe it or not my third one. But its been a while.
I picked it up that morning and drove it 200 miles home. Small vibration but can be understood that these trucks are not perfect with wear and tear. Its not like driving my 08 wrangler.
I'll get a pic of the engine. Give me a couple days. I replaced the carb with a new Holly 600, 4160 at Summit.

Ford Truck Articles