Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Neutral Safety / Backup Light Switch

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I have had put two neutral safety switches on my 78 Ford f-150, the first one was defective it had only lasted the trip home from the repair shop, while I was there I had a backup alarm installed so I had that and my backup lights, for the trip home, and then after that nothing. So I had gotten another one from Autozone to replace the first one, and that one only lasted about a month, and today it decided to take a big dirt nap when I had stopped to get the mail, and I had shut the truck off, and then I had gotten back in and tried to start the truck and it wouldn't start so I had called AAA for a tow truck for a tow to another repair shop to get the switch replaced for third time, I was talking with the wrecker driver about it , and I had explained to him that I had gotten the switch from Autozone and that this was the second one from there, and he had told me that's what the problem is, and he had advised to go to Advance Auto Parts and get a new one, and that I'll have my truck back by either Monday or Tuesday. What gives? And why are these neutral safety switches going? I'm rather stumped by this. Thanks in advance for the help, smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
I can tell you Advance will not have any better switches. The switches from the Zone are made by Wells. I have plenty of switches from the Zone that work fine years later. The trouble is more with the design, no the supplier. Those switches also have a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm about 10 years into a replacement Motorcraft NSS with no problems. I think I bought it on Ebay, but I did pay about $75 for the switch. The fact that the truck wouldn't start indicates that the NSS was not all the way in the park position, thus preventing the truck from starting.. If it happens again before you get the switch replaced, try putting the transmission in Neutral to see if the engine will start.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't disagree with what Roger said, but as Doug noted, originals which seem to last a very long time are available.
I've bought over a dozen, some at $30 from eBay.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Doug thanks for the info on that, I had already tried that and still no start, I had already gotten a new NSS from Advance Auto Parts for about 63 dollars, and I'm going to drop it off at the repair shop where my truck is at on Monday morning to be installed.smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
I don't disagree with what Roger said, but as Doug noted, originals which seem to last a very long time are available.
I've bought over a dozen, some at $30 from eBay.

Sure you aren't....

;)

My main point is that Advance will not have a better part by default, most times they come from the same place. I have seen the same brand on the shelves at the other stores as we had when I worked at the Zone.

The truth is, most every aftermarket piece is not quite like the original, as they are not made with the original specifications. They have to copy them unless they have an agreement with the OEM to be able to produce an exact duplicate. There are occasions the aftermarket is an improvement, but most times they are at best equal.

Something else that should be verified is that the column itself is not the issue, as they can get loose and cause trouble. Most times it is simply an adjustment matter.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Thanks Roger, Doug, and Duncan you guys have been rather helpful with your information and thoughts regarding this issue with my NSS, but it will be interesting to find out what the mechanic has to say tomorrow when I talk to him.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Thanks guys for all of the info on this subject it was my NSS after all. Two that were from Autozone were duds. Your help and opinions and info were greatly appreciated

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1978/79: NSS located on the transmission. C4 uses a different NSS than C6.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts