Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Air intake restrictor on a 97 460?

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hello everyone!

I've been doing some reading on increasing power output from a 460 and came across some information that suggested removing a restrictor in the air intake system to assist with power gains.
Would this benefit with a higher volume of air flow? Also, how do you go about removing it? I'm in need of a winter project while its in storage smilieFordlogo

460Trucker

Is it only for stock intakes? I have a K&N aircharger that I replaced the stock one with that made a noticeable difference.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
The kit retains (or if you like to replace) the stock air filter. The kit just changes the restrictive air horn to a larger more free flowing design. I too have replaced the factory filter with a K&N drop in filter. Getting the clean air from outside the engine compartment is the key. A lot of those kits that replace the stock system entirely may actually decrease performance!

460Trucker

Gotcha. I've heard about the decrease in performance on carb engines, I'm guessing that would apply somewhat to EFI's too.

460Trucker

Well pulled off the air intake hoses to find that someone has already cut off the restrictors. Talk about an easy project!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts