Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Trailers, Towing and RV's

Trailers, Towing and RV's If you can pull it, discuss it here.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 PM

den842000 is on a distinguished road
Gearing for towing

I have 92 F150 with 5.8W EFI 8.8 axle automatic tranny with OD and 3.08 gears. I am towing an 18ft boat, boat and trailer is roughly 3500 lbs. I am having a very hard time at highway speeds. I live in central KS and simply going up a gradual hill will take me from 70 to 60 depending of the grade. I should also mention I have gone from stock 75R15 to 30" tires. I have been told going to shorter hears would help, but I am not familiar with how far I should take the re-gearing. 3.55, 3.73, 4.20? I really need some recommendations and would appreciate any input. I would like to comfortably run 75 mph at highway speeds and really only use the truck to tow. I have had my mechanic check tranny and engine. Both are good and strong.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 PM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
3.73's would be the nicest ratio for performance (and towing) and gas mileage IMHO
Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
3.73 or 4.10

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:37 AM
ride'n on 35's

wizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond repute
4:10s are alot of fun too, faster take off from a stopsign. ive got 2 trucks with 4:10's and 33' tires and one with 3:55's with 30' tires the 4:10's will out pull hands down
Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
With a slightly oversized tire, a 4.10 will actually take you closer to what a 3.73 would feel like on stock tires. 3.73 would be a good all-around gear too. You can't go wrong with both of those. To accomplish that much weight, 3.55 might not be the strongest choice.

Ryan
Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 AM

den842000 is on a distinguished road
How well do you do on the highway? I am worried about hitting 65 or 70 and having my rpm's singing like crazy. This truck will be used primarily on the highway traveling to local lakes. A few people have mentioned that 4.10's are just to low to expect much out of highway speeds without really taxing your engine. However none of these people have or have had a ford with 4.10's. I have a buddy that was happy with 3.55's, but he didn't pull anything with his truck.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
It's all about striking the right balance. If Ford made trucks with 4.10's off the lot, I'm not aware of them. They might exist, but they're super rare. Maybe 3.73's are the right balance for you? You will gain a lot of power with 3.73's.

I have 3.55's in my pickup with a 351w, and when towing it always did pretty well. With your tire being slightly oversized, the effective engine speed ratios end up being about the same if you did 3.73. If you had a stock tire, a 4.10 would probably be out of the question, but you don't, so it's a real option.

Ryan
Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post
It's all about striking the right balance. If Ford made trucks with 4.10's off the lot, I'm not aware of them. They might exist, but they're super rare. Maybe 3.73's are the right balance for you? You will gain a lot of power with 3.73's.

I have 3.55's in my pickup with a 351w, and when towing it always did pretty well. With your tire being slightly oversized, the effective engine speed ratios end up being about the same if you did 3.73. If you had a stock tire, a 4.10 would probably be out of the question, but you don't, so it's a real option.

Ryan
They are actually quite common, Ryan. Usually installed on 3/4 ton and larger. My '74 250 had 4:10's and my '89 250 has 4:10's.

I do wish they put a lot more 3:73's in their trucks. The Aerostar AWD had 3:73 ratios and was a perfect balance between mileage, performance and towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:29 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Your best bet is to run your numbers in a calculator such as this:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
They are actually quite common, Ryan. Usually installed on 3/4 ton and larger. My '74 250 had 4:10's and my '89 250 has 4:10's.

I do wish they put a lot more 3:73's in their trucks. The Aerostar AWD had 3:73 ratios and was a perfect balance between mileage, performance and towing.
That explains it. My experience is relegated almost entirely to F150's.

Ryan