Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Ranger/Bronco II

Ranger/Bronco II Mazda B-Series

Old 08-02-2017, 05:21 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
new bed and topper

I had a little oopsie one icy morning last winter and tore up the bedside on my Ranger. Still serviceable but ugly, and probably not inspectable since the fender no longer covered the tire.

Been playing the CL waiting game since then...and I got lucky last week. Ad was pretty vague but implied it was a good bed from a silver '94 Ranger, so I asked for pics.

Thing looked clean as anything in the photos, guy told me his son wrapped the front of the truck around a phone pole and they were parting it out.

Busted my bed bolts loose Monday night (note: Line-X is f'n vicious when your wrench slips)...and then when I met him Tuesday night and talked him into helping me swap beds- right there in the parking lot. Tossed my old bed in the trailer, set the new one on my frame and put the cap on it.

It's got less rust than my old bed did, color matches plenty close enough, and it came with a bedliner and a decent matching topper. I didn't really want the topper, but the seller it wanted it gone so I'll leave it on there a while and see how I like it. (It's a love/hate thing...been a while since I ran one.)

Still need to get it bolted down properly, and finish cleaning up the details...it's safe for travel but not properly mounted right now.

We were marveling how little changed on these trucks...15 years older, and the bed dropped right on my frame. The newer beds have a couple extra bolts to the frame, but they only added more, the location of the other six didn't change. Taillight configuration went from amber turn signals to just red (with corresponding different bulb and wiring configurations) but the lenses swapped over fine. Only thing I have to modify is drilling a hole under the tailgate for access to the spare-tire winch. The earlier trucks had a better system, where it's just bolted up there and swings down...but the '09 has a dumb cable winch.

Photos later; they're only phone and I'm feeling lazy and tired.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2017, 03:30 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
It's pretty much just sitting on there...once I snug everything down the body lines should line up a little better.

Not a perfect match with the lower accent color and fender flare, but close enough for my needs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RangerBed_1.jpg (54.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RangerBed_2.jpg (37.8 KB, 12 views)

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 08-03-2017, 03:35 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Looks nice, Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Gotta say with as anal as you are about things I'm surprised you went that route

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCab View Post
Gotta say with as anal as you are about things I'm surprised you went that route
That's what I was thinking! Haha, it looks good though, it's uncanny how little changed.

You didn't like punch grazing the LineX???

Ryan
Old 08-03-2017, 03:20 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCab View Post
Not really- it's an unmolested factory bed, which is what I had before. I don't think a replaced bedside would've come out as good as a factory bed/paint job...and a new OEM bed with paint would've cost a fortune...

I'm anal about taking care of stuff, but I don't actually care what it looks like...at least not much. (I did pass a screaming deal on a bed- $100 - because I couldn't bring myself to put a red bed on the thing, but...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post
You didn't like punch grazing the LineX???
When I got done, my hands looked like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knuckles1.jpg (37.9 KB, 12 views)

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Dang that bedliner did tear you up.

That bed looks to be in good shape.
Randy
Old 08-04-2017, 06:28 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
You need a pair of these
http://lghttp.48404.nexcesscdn.net/8...12_-_a-2_1.jpg

I'm an old fart, I can't afford to lose anymore skin
Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

And now for a question...

The cap has lost it's third brake light somewhere along the way. I know a lot of people run caps without them, but I really prefer to have one for safety.

The last cap I wired, the truck had separate amber blinkers...so it needed a converter box for the trailer lights but there was a "brake light" wire I could tap into for the cap...this truck just has red stop/turn lamps on the rear...which means if I tap into the "brake light" it'll blink with one of the directionals. Which I won't tolerate.

So...there's got to be a solution to this....but I'm not familiar with what it is?

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 08-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
Not sure how involved it would be but could you run something straight from the brake light switch? This should bypass the turn signal switch. Not sure if you would want a relay setup but it seems like this could solve your problem.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."