Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission question for the Ranger crowd.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I have my 3.0 v6 from my wrecked Taurus that will be powering my CJ-2A. I know this block is the same as a Ranger 3.0, so I am wondering what would be the best little manual transmission and transfer case that I could mate up to my engine. Emphasis on little, specifically the length.

It doesn't have to be the strongest, this thing weighs about 1500 lbs less than a Ranger.

What are my best options?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Why not use a 3.0 L 5spd manual and transfer case from a ranger also?

I don't remember what transfer case goes in the ranger.

My son had a '93 Splash with 3.0, 5 spd manual, and 4WD with 3.73 axle ratio. It performed quite well.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Your very limited as to what will bolt on the the 3.0. You are limited to the Mazda M50D-R1. That is the only one that will bolt to it as far as I can remember. The Bw1354 non electric transfer case would be your best bet.
the only concern is where this will put the shift levers but I think you should be ok

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Why not use a 3.0 L 5spd manual and transfer case from a ranger also?
That was the plan, I just thought there might have been more than one 5 speed used in the ranger.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I just thought there might have been more than one 5 speed used in the ranger.

There were a couple others used back in the '80s, but I think by the time the 3.0 came along it only had the Mazda box behind it...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Which one did you have?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The Mazda M5OD-R1 in both my Rangers.

It's considered the same transmission, but the cases vary between engines because all three engines have different bolt patterns and the bellhousing is integral to the transmission. Not entirely sure if the guts are identical or vary slightly among them.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Which engines did you have?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
2.3 liter 4-cylinder and 4.0 liter V6.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND