Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ac/vent through defroster?

So my F250 has been doing this thing lately - when you start it, no matter what position the AC selector is in, the air will be blowing out through the defrost ducts under the windshield. It's not until I move the switch a few times that it starts blowing out through the dash vents.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is the default position if you have an actuator or vacuum problem.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Do you have automatic or manually selected controls?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
If you turn the truck off (or turn the selector for the climate to off) do you hear a faint thud or clunk inside the dash?

If you turn the truck off (or turn the selector for the climate to off) do you hear a faint thud or clunk inside the dash?

From memory, no - but I'll check it when my wife gets home.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall is a small canister looking thing, it almost looks like a fuel pressure regulator. It has a small vac line going to it. I would be willing to be it cam unhooked and is laying down on your manifold.

It is between the turbo and the oil fill on a 6.0
Ill snap a pic

Its hard to see in the pic

uploadfromtaptalk1375216000995.jpg

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Has the gray (or grey if your a canadian) vac line going to it.

OK, so no cluck or thud when I turn off the AC...

Under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall is a small canister looking thing, it almost looks like a fuel pressure regulator. It has a small vac line going to it. I would be willing to be it cam unhooked and is laying down on your manifold.

Ill snap a pic

View attachment 2802

The grey line?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Yep

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Get it fixed?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
How bout now?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ill snap a pic

View attachment 2802

OK, so the line isn't disconnected, but it is connected differently... On ours, the gray line is connected more behind the 'canister'.

I also have been noticing that if I leave the controls alone, after maybe 40 seconds or so, it switches itself and cold air starts blowing out the way it should be. Before that, from initial start-up up until that point, it's hot air blowing up to the windshield. Is it just a convenience feature so that hot air isn't blowing in our faces?

Thanks again, and sorry it's takes so long to reply!

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
It should flip over right away. My truck did that exact thing when my gray line was off. Maybe check the other end?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Mine did the same thing but upon investigation the squirrels tried to make a nest under the hood and while doing so chewed my vacuum line in two. (My truck sits a lot when I'm on the road)

Ford Truck Articles