Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Ranger/Bronco II

Ranger/Bronco II Mazda B-Series

Old 08-04-2017, 10:58 AM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you buy the adapter, that previous post is the solution
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2017, 12:59 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
^^There's an adapter? Where do I find one/what are they called?

It was easy to find an adapter box to add a 4-way flat trailer plug (with combined stop/turn bulbs) to my '97 Ranger (with the separate, amber blinkers) but I'm not having luck finding the right search terms for one to go this way?

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling

Last edited by john112deere; 08-04-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
There's no easy way that I know of... went through that on a headache rack recently

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 08-04-2017, 02:43 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
An internet search turned up a suggestion that there's a capped green wire "somewhere under the fuse box" that does what I need...but I didn't see it at a quick look. Plan "B" might be to try to find the wire that runs to the third brake light above the rear window and tap into that.

I'm also toying with the idea of getting the middle piece of a set of rear clearance lights (the one with three red lights on a bar about 15" wide) and wiring it up with the outside lights on their respective taillights, and the middle one on both taillights...which should give me "high-mount blinkers" and a three-piece stop lamp. A little worried it'll just look stupid, but it'd be pretty easy.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 08-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere View Post
...this truck just has red stop/turn lamps on the rear...which means if I tap into the "brake light" it'll blink with one of the directionals. Which I won't tolerate.

So...there's got to be a solution to this....but I'm not familiar with what it is?
This has come up a handful of times on the other truck forum I frequent and I think the answer is still to buy "the box". Could always do a search over there, wasn't too many weeks ago the subject came up (again).

Edit: Tap into the wire running to the 3rd brake light. The harness is inside the vehicle, among locations it will run on the left side of the center hump, if like mine you could tap into it in the back but there are several great places. Pull the left seat, remove the carpet to body trim along the lower door opening, lift carpet and do what comes naturally.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 08-04-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:24 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
You should be able to pull the 3rd brk light on the truck, and tie into that wire.
Drop it back into the cab, and "sneak" it into the interior. Go dow to the rubber plug above the body mount, and poke a hole, stick the wire through, then down the frame you go
Old 08-23-2017, 05:44 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

I didn't really want to run a wire all the way from the cab, but finding the "logic box" was proving damn near impossible...until I had a brainstorm.

WalMart sells a geezer-style receiver hitch cover that's an "extra" taillight. Comes with a logic box- for $13. I'll toss the light assembly. Seeing as I don't have a trailer, I may just leave it set up to plug into my four-way flat connector for now...it's cheating, but 100% reversible if I ever want to do it right later on.

*It took me a minute to understand how the thing worked, but I did finally figure it out. Long story short it'll light up only when it sees something from both sides...so the CHMSL will flash with the four-ways, but that's OK- just as long as it doesn't go with the directionals I'm happy.

--Col. W.A. Roebling

Last edited by john112deere; 08-23-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere View Post
I didn't really want to run a wire all the way from the cab, but finding the "logic box" was proving damn near impossible...until I had a brainstorm.

WalMart sells a geezer-style receiver hitch cover that's an "extra" taillight. Comes with a logic box- for $13. I'll toss the light assembly. Seeing as I don't have a trailer, I may just leave it set up to plug into my four-way flat connector for now...it's cheating, but 100% reversible if I ever want to do it right later on.

*It took me a minute to understand how the thing worked, but I did finally figure it out. Long story short it'll light up only when it sees something from both sides...so the CHMSL will flash with the four-ways, but that's OK- just as long as it doesn't go with the directionals I'm happy.
That's a sweet short cut, nice find.

Ryan
Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
X2, good job on repurposing an easy to find item!

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp