Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Trailers, Towing and RV's

Trailers, Towing and RV's If you can pull it, discuss it here.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Power Convertor Bad?

Our camp trailer has a Magnetek power convertor Series 6300, Model 6345.

I can plug the trailer into the 120 volt circuit on the house, and everything that is dedicated to 120V(A/C, microwave) or switchable(Water heater/refrigerator) between 120 and another source works just fine.

When the trailer is plugged into house power, none of the 12 volt circuits work(lights, water pump).

When I disconnect the house power, then all the 12 volt circuits work.

I am assuming this is a bad convertor. The convertor does hum when I plug it in, and none of the fuses appear to be blown. I am reading about a lot of problems with the old Magnetek 6300 and 7300 series.

If the convertor is bad, can someone suggest a plug and play replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2016, 09:15 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
Our camp trailer has a Magnetek power convertor Series 6300, Model 6345.

I can plug the trailer into the 120 volt circuit on the house, and everything that is dedicated to 120V(A/C, microwave) or switchable(Water heater/refrigerator) between 120 and another source works just fine.

When the trailer is plugged into house power, none of the 12 volt circuits work(lights, water pump).

When I disconnect the house power, then all the 12 volt circuits work.

I am assuming this is a bad convertor. The convertor does hum when I plug it in, and none of the fuses appear to be blown. I am reading about a lot of problems with the old Magnetek 6300 and 7300 series.

If the convertor is bad, can someone suggest a plug and play replacement?
Lol...I think its suppose to work that way!...You cant have it both ways!

AC/DC.....

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 05-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
The convertor does just that.....converts 120V Ac to 12V. The 12V lights should work when they are hooked up to an AC supply.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 05-27-2016, 09:57 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
I just did a little reading on that model Doug, wonder if it is the internal relay?

http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/RV%2...%20Binder1.pdf

I would think that any new converter would work provided it has the same or higher output.....and I'm guessing that they probably would have 3 stage charging.

I will do some reading and see what I can find.
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:33 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

Thank you, Duncan. My current system is 30 amp. It looks like most of the replacements are 45 or 50 amp.

It looks like the 6345 is rated at 45 amps.(DOH)! I will check those test points tomorrow.

Also, I measured the voltage of both batteries with the house current disconnected, which measured 12.5 volts. With the house current connected, the voltage on both batteries read 13.8 volts, so I think the charging system works ok.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by fatherdoug; 05-28-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

Duncan, I checked the test voltage as the link suggests. The battery voltage at the battery was 12.6V DC. The test voltage across both test points was the same but low. Both test points read 6 volts and dropping. After about 10 minutes, I rechecked the test points and the voltage was 2.9V and dropping at both points. Also, the circulation fan on the convertor was not coming on when plugged into house power. The convertor was humming though.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
I'm far too stewed and waterlogged to make any kind of worthwhile post...I will get back to you tomorrow
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:

Old 05-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

I understand. No hurry!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

Quote:
Duncan, I checked the test voltage as the link suggests. The battery voltage at the battery was 12.6V DC. The test voltage across both test points was the same but low. Both test points read 6 volts and dropping. After about 10 minutes, I rechecked the test points and the voltage was 2.9V and dropping at both points. Also, the circulation fan on the convertor was not coming on when plugged into house power. The convertor was humming though.
I rechecked the voltages again yesterday morning, after sitting all night unplugged from house current. Battery voltage at battery was still 12.6V. The voltage across the test points with the house current plugged in, read 14.6 and 15.4.

I can't get any consistent voltage readings. I'm now only getting lights to half the trailer with the house current unplugged. The fuses are split into front half of trailer and back half of trailer. The fuses all check out okay, and I'm getting 12V into the fuse and 12V out of the fuse on the bank that has no lights.

So, I just ordered a replacement converter. It should be here Thursday. We are going camping, and should be okay since we won't be plugging the trailer into any AC outlets.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dy...ilpage_o00_s00

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-01-2016, 07:05 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

Cool Doug, probably the easiest thing to do.
Quote:
Quote: