Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Trailers, Towing and RV's

Trailers, Towing and RV's If you can pull it, discuss it here.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:24 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
A major problem solved
Randy
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2018, 09:12 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
^^ yes indeed!

The first year I had the Bird, Frank had come up for the trip and things went pretty well mechanically.

One thing that did crop up was that one morning the genny did not want to start.

Hit the start button and got a very fast clicking sound...not just the usual solenoid clunk of a low battery or shitty connection.

Did some investigating and the way BB had wired the genny battery and house batteries was pretty good for 1988.

The genny battery was isolated from the house/start batteries by way of a diode...in the day, the easiest and most reliable way to do things.

Issue with diodes is that although they will prevent flow from a battery you don't want, the forward drop, which can vary between .4 and .7 of a volt depending on style is enough to impede full charging.

They also installed a large solenoid ( activated by dash switch) to combine both the house and genny batteries.

After the genny would not start, I metered stuff and found out a couple of things.

1....diode had been cut out of battery circuit.

2....solenoid was welded closed....point 3 volt drop across contacts.

3....previous owner installed a Blue Sea disconnect which will disconnect the genny battery from the house should the house fall below 12.5 volts.

I bypassed the fekked up solenoid and all seemed good.

Ha....fat chance.

Last year it did it again...fast clicking and no start...of course this a 10pm, pitch black, raining....all associated people many beers in....ugh.

Threw a screwdriver across the solenoid hot to the solenoid coil....poof....fired right up.

So obviously something in the control side.

Think I got it sorted today.....there are Cannon connectors all over this bus...found one about 18" away from the control box with some corrosion....cleaned up and started/stopped a couple of dozen times.

We will see.

As noted by a long time most respected member here, the female is clean and the male is dirty...hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Your troubleshooting skills are beyond repute. ANNNDDDDD.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Your troubleshooting skills are beyond repute. ANNNDDDDD.......
My troubleshooting skills are driven by the abuse I seem to suffer from my friends if I can't fix shit.

Assholes.

ANNNNNDDDD.....hehehehehehe.
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:

Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

Also....the misery adds up.

Today while fekking around I was having a good look at the front tire....did not like what I saw.

14000+ lbs on the front axle.

Late 2011 tire date....not looking good.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-01-2018, 09:54 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like they sat for awhile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 06-01-2018, 09:59 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

Quote:
Looks like they sat for awhile?
They were fine last year Doug.

Previous owner put them on. I did replace the tags in 2015 I think. They have minimal weight on them while parked. I should have kept the covers on them.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Time for some new ones.
Had a Goodyear Wrangler take a crap early spring. 90% tread and one porcupined in the inside tread, looked fine but had a wobble at about 40 and up. Found it when I pulled them to put the summer tires on.
Randy
Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Time for some new ones.
Had a Goodyear Wrangler take a crap early spring. 90% tread and one porcupined in the inside tread, looked fine but had a wobble at about 40 and up. Found it when I pulled them to put the summer tires on.
Yeah....was waffling on just doing the steers for this year.

This shit is seriously putting a dent in my beer and gun budget
Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-01-2018, 10:40 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

No crap when we have to replace tires on the school buses one would think they have gold wire in them.
Randy