Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

OBD testing....no?

Hey guys....got an issue I hope you can help with. I have a 95 F-150 4x4 5.8L auto. Cold startup is fine but warm starts usually have a problem. Rolls over fine, fires right up, then rpms drop to about 400-500. So low that the voltage gauge reads low, lights dim...everything. Touch the go pedal, and it comes right to life. Anywhere from 45 seconds to 10 minutes later, it tells itself "Hey, I shouldn't be idling this low" and straightens up. If it does this while I am driving at a relatively slow speed, or stopped with my foot on the brake, it will gently lurch forward, like it just got a shot of something. Not a huge lurch, but enough that I notice it's acting right again. I brought it to Autozone and all those places, and they said they cant test it because their testers dont go that old. I assume that means my truck is OBD1? Got the plug under the hood. Anyways, is there a way to pull codes on this thing, or do I need to bring it in to a shop? The CEL doesn't light up right away, but usually within 3 minutes of it running, whether it does the low idle thing or not, the light pops on. Help?

Ok...followed the instructions on the video. Got a 111 and a 332. 111 is system ok, 332 is EGR did not open during test. Could my egr be bad? Is that why my truck runs funky?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Just a question, but have you (or anyone else) fiddled with the throttle cables, idle set screw, or anything that may be making it idle that low?

If you're going to keep the truck, it's worth every penny to get one of those OBD1 Ford Code Readers. They are wonderful.

Ryan

I don't think anyone has messed with the linkage. Like I said, it corrects itself.

I think I am going to look into a reader.....

Ford Truck Articles