Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need Transmission crossmember!

ponydrvr72

Just dont try it,do it !
Hello folks, ive been looking for days for a transmission crossmember to go into a 79 f-100. i need it to hold up the c-6 i plan to put behind a 400 or a 429 that is in the truck now, the 400 is in a 78 f-150 that i picked up for parts. the f-150 is a standard and the crossmember is different.
does anybody know where i can find a after market member? i've loooked everywhere short of a junkyard and cant find nothing past 1960.
thanks in advance for any info.

Fellro

Staff member
So what is it you are needing, a crossmember for an automatic truck? I have a 79 2wd 1/2 ton here that is just going to get parted out. I can scope out any differences between it and the 2wd 77 4 speed I also have...

ponydrvr72

Just dont try it,do it !
yeah thats right,my 78 4wd 4 speed f-150 ranger seems to have a beefier frame than my 79 f-100, the crossmembers look different, i'm going out there in a hour to inspect some more.

Fellro

Staff member
No I understand the problem. The 2wd and 4wd crossmembers are not the same. I have a 4wd 150 I can compare to as well. Are you trying to go 4wd or 2wd?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just did a quick search with the usual parts suppliers, didn't find any cross members. However, you may want to contact Green Sales, seeing as they have a lot of obsolete NOS stuff. Here's the phone #:

1-800-543-4959

Beyond that, time to go J/Y diving.

ponydrvr72

Just dont try it,do it !
Thats the 4wd version,it mounts at the top of the frame,and the radius arms attach to it, i'm looking for a 2wd version that mounts to the bottom frame rail,thanks lostinfords.

Ford Truck Articles